PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Destination Suggestions.....

ChemEAngler
06-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Hello All,
I have an opportunity to take my dad on a fishing trip with me, but he has never been flyfishing. He has expressed interest, but has yet to try it. I am thinking about signing him up for Hugh's class so that he can learn the basics such as casting, drifts, and mending. Listed below are a few of my current possibilities:

Durango, CO - San Juan and Rio Grande rivers as well as the Animas and numerous high mountain streams
Steamboat Springs, CO - Yampa River, North Platte, and Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park
Sedona, AZ - 3 or 4 day backcountry trips for Apache trout
Wyoming backcountry guided camping trip for bows, browns, brookies, cutt's, and golden trout.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Travis

David Knapp
06-16-2007, 10:46 PM
What time of year are you planning on going? I would probably make different recommendations depending on this... Also how long of a trip are you wanting to do?

ChemEAngler
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey PA,

I am planning on going probably in late August or early September, and it will probably be a 5-7 day trip. The guide that I used while in Durango recommended that I come back in early September for some unbelievable fishing and complete lack of crowds. That is a combination that I would hate to pass up.

Travis

David Knapp
06-20-2007, 11:39 PM
You probably can't go wrong with any of your choices at that time of year. I personally wouldn't go to AZ at that time of the year (also, Sedona is quite a ways from any Apache trout...). Also, since your dad hasn't flyfished before, I wouldn't suggest starting a beginner on the Yampa and South Platte because they are probably a little technical for a first timer... I'd say that your best bets for a great time would be either Wyoming or Durango...great places both...

Bullwinkle
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
as much as I like Yellowstone.. I like the Durango area even more! For a break from fishing be sure and take Dad on the Silverton Train. The San Juan, etc will be great that time of year. As a side trip the San Miguel up in Telluride is often over-looked.