PDA

View Full Version : firefly mystery

pedipop
06-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Recently the message board has referred to nighttime adventures to observe the fireflies in the park. Have visited GSMNP hundreds of times but am not aware of this particular phenomena. Could some of you locals bring me up to speed? I hope they won't interfere with stream access when I next come to wade.
Thanks. I vicariously enjoy all the exciting fishing posts.

pedipop

ttas67
06-17-2007, 11:39 PM
sam mcdonald will probably give you some better info, but I'll give it a go. basically, up above elkmont somewhere, the fireflies all blink in sync with each other. my understanding is that this is one of 2 known places in the world where this occurs. it will only affect fishing at elkmont.

Gerry Romer
06-18-2007, 12:05 AM
It's apparently a mating thing and it should be just about over 'til next year.

Grampus
06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
A phenomenon which usually occurs around Father's Day. Over the past 10 years it has gotten alot of press and the crowds have followed. I heard they limit vehicle access to the small field above Elkmont campground and have bused crowds in.

I had never went to see it myself, never taking the time. Two years ago, I was at the Sawdust Pile campsite on Hazel camping by myself. I noticed that a few fireflies were flashing in a rapid sequence of 5 flashes instead of the slower one flash. As it got darker, they got into sequence and it was like a strobe light. Five flashes, then total dark, then 5 flashes. Observing this freaky scene while camping by myself was a bit spooky, but something I'll never forget.:eek:

sammcdonald
06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
it is over. they are all inna weeds mating now. next year it will still be a short and hard to access event. the worst part is the people that leave 75 used pampers, 9000 beer cans, and 3 soda cans..........

Rog 1
06-19-2007, 10:08 AM
There is even a better show up at campsite 24....the 4.5 hike leaves a lot of the tourons back down the mountain....this requires an overnight stay but the next morning you can climb out of your tent and start fishing some great water.