PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Fork

HAPPYCAMPER
06-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I will be camping at Smokemont in a couple of weeks.
Being a little new at fly fishing, I caught a couple of small rainbows last year.
I could use any advice you can give, type fly (size & color),time of day,etc
How far up do you typically have to hike to get the best results?

Hugh Hartsell
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Good afternoon Happy and welcome to the board. I see where you say that you are new to flyfishing and that you caught a few small ones last year. My wife and I have been doing a lot of fishing in that area recently and we did well on Stimulators, Snowshoe Sulfurs and Blackbirds. That being said, I believe the best advice that I can give you as a new flyfisherman, is to run as fast as you can to a good flycasting instructor near where you live. No fly will give you the best results if you cannot present it properly to the fish. Proper casting and mending is the backbone of successful flyfishing. All the other techniques used on the stream, pale in comparison, to being able to present a fly properly. I think almost everyone on this board will tell you that as they learned how to handle a flyrod properly, they noticed an increase in the number of fish that they caught.
I wish you good luck on your trip and let us know if you did any of the things that I mentioned before getting there.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

nvr2L8
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Welcome Happy Camper!

I am also new to fly fishing but am learning more every time I go out. Parachute Adams is a fly that I have had some success with in my first few tries. I'm just getting some confidence with going smaller in size (#16) and this seems to be working pretty well. The yellow ones are best but are hard to find as they disappear in a hurry from Little River Outfitters.

I'll second what Hugh said about presentation - the more I can keep my line upstream and out of the way, the better success I'm having. It just takes a whale of a lot of practice and a lot of trial and error.

Keep plugging - the thrill of a nice catch is worth all the hard work and repitition.

KPOJ
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I just fished Bradley last weekend. Water was kind of low, but still fishable. It gets kind of tight in there this time of year with all the leaves on the trees. I used a 7 1/2' rod and still had to really keep my casts short. I also did a lot of sidearm casting and roll casting. The fish are in there, but there real spooky. I caught a few on pheasant tail nymphs and had a strike on a yellow stimulator. Good luck!

HAPPYCAMPER
07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I wound up having decent luck on Bradley Fork, just above Chasteen Creek split. Between the two of us we caught 7 all together, many "hits" that I missed., and a nice Rainbow up at The Oconoluftee behind the visitors center( on a green weenie).
All the fish on Bradley Fork were caught on a yellow parachute adams.
Thanks for allthe advice

Paula Begley
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Welcome aboard!

Paula