PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Report

rlockwood
06-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Three friends and I camped out at Cades Cove campground this weekend. We left Huntsville, AL early and arrived at LRO shortly after 10 am. We stocked up on fishing necessities and it was a pleasure to finally meet Paula. We usually eat out one night, and she recommended the Trailhead Steak House in Townsend. After a long day of fishing on Saturday, I had a great ribeye! Thanks, Paula.

After leaving LRO, we drove to Cades Cove and set up camp. We then drove back to Tremont. I wanted to try a brook trout stream which had been reopened and looked fairly close to the road on the map. I crossed the middle prong and climbed a small hill before getting to the falls which clearly mark the boundary for brook trout. I would guess they are 40 or 50 feet high. A couple of hikers talked me out of trying to climb to the top, so I fished the pool at the bottom with no success.

I then returned to the Middle Prong and had a pretty good afternoon. I caught 8 small rainbows on yellow parachute adams and ants.

Saturday, we woke up a little late in large part because a couple of campers in the site next to us decided to stay up all night drinking and laughing. We hit the road by about 9 and drove to the top of the West Prong before it goes up the mountain. Just as we completed rigging up a couple of other anglers emerge from the trail. Rather than fishing behind them, we opted to hop back in the car and fish Abrams Creek after the loop was re-opened to traffic at 10. This was something of a mistake, because everybody took their time after the gate was reopened. We probably hit Abrams close to 11. For about two hours the fishing was very good. I caught 10 small rainbows on the yellow parachute adams. All were in the riffles right where you thought they would be. When the sun got high, however, the action stopped. On the way out for lunch, we briefly talked to a gentlemen who was having great success with a green weenie.

For lunch, we drove up forge creek road. We briefly fished the tight conditions there without any luck, so we drove back to the Middle Prong.

Once on the middle prong, I fished briefly with the yellow adams, with no success. So, I switched to the famous Hugh Hartsell Smoky Mountain Blackbird, and started tearing it up. I benefitted greatly from my guided trip with Hugh in the Spring. Prior to that, I was never a high sticker, but I have had good success since spending a day with him. On Saturday, I caught 8 fish in about an hour, and all of them were from fast runs. My best fish of the afternoon, and the trip, was a 10 inch rainbow that I caught while laying on top of a boulder and high sticking through a deep fast run. The stream was VERY packed with fisherman on Saturday. I worked upstream through some water that my friends had fished and then through another stretch with much less success. On my way out, I talked to a very pleasant gentlemen who fished the water before me.

After a good dinner, we had much less noise on Saturday night. I think our neighbors may have received a visit from the rangers. Sunday, we broke camp and hit Tremont one last time for posterity sake between 10 and 11. The blackbird was not working as well, so I flipped over some rocks. I found some small nymphs that looked like pheasant tails to me, so I tied a size 18 soft hackle, behind the blackbird. I was able to catch two 6 inch rainbows on the pheasant tail in about an hour.

As always, we had a good time, and I'm ready to go back now.

Robert

WNCFLY
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I sometimes take for granted living so close to the park and only fish it every once and awhile. I need to load up the tent and have myself a nice three day weekend trip like you had. I am going to also have to take the class with Hugh Hartsell, sounds like it really pays off.

Paula Begley
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
It was great to meet you, rlockwood! So happy you had such a great trip!

I am dreaming about Trailhead's steak at the moment! :smile:

Paula

Kevin_Thomas
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
The class with Hugh is some of the best money you can spend...