PDA

View Full Version : Boot Drying

UofMontanaAlum
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Just wondering if I am damaging my boots by putting them in my dryer. I use the dryer rack and I turn the heat completely off. Basically it is blowing air across the boots to dry them faster. Does anyone see any problem with this?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/DSCF1574.jpg

I was wondering what ya'll do to keep your boots smellin' fresh and clean?

ttas67
06-22-2007, 12:39 AM
1. I see no problem with doing that. I think more damage is done by leaving them wet all the time.

2. fresh and clean? come on.

Paula Begley
06-22-2007, 01:40 PM
No dryer...No!

I recommend the microwave, much faster. :eek:

Seriously, the heat from a dryer can damage any leather products on the boots, not to mention what it would do to rubber. I would say putting wading boots in the dryer would likely break any warranty, and it would just beat the boots to heck.

Paula

ttas67
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
as he said, he is using the rack (which means the boots aren't tumbling around in there) and no heat, just air. I think its fine.

UofMontanaAlum
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
as he said, he is using the rack (which means the boots aren't tumbling around in there) and no heat, just air. I think its fine.

Yep. If you look at the picture they are on the dryer rack so no tumbling and the heat is turned off completely. I stuck them in for 3 hours and they came out dry and smell free :biggrin:

2. fresh and clean? come on.

Hey, if you like having stinky feet, more power to ya :p

Paula Begley
06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I seriously need to pay more attention. Sorry. :redface:

Also, I need a fancy dryer that has a drying rack.

But for those of you who don't have fancy dryers with the rack dealeo and no heat. Don't use the dryer. :biggrin:

Paula

offshore
06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Boots and shoes will dry significantly faster if layed on their side. Air will be able to circulate much more freely this way.

3 hours in the dryer (even with no heat) uses a fair amount of energy. And in my case would surely cause marital conflict.

Off Shore

flyman
06-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Fresh and clean? Please tell me you don't wash your vest:eek: Careful now, your man card could be hanging in the balance ;)

Woody
06-24-2007, 04:21 PM
While were cleaning stuff lets discuss waders. After detecting an odor I turned then inside out. Oh my goodness, mold. I'm thinking about throwing them in the garbage, but thought I would ask if anyone knowns of another alternative.

Thanks

Sage
06-25-2007, 01:47 PM
As for boots, I agree with offshore, put them on their side or on an elevated grate so air can get to the bottom.

As for waders, turn them inside out if you've taken on water, then turn 'em right side out & dry the outside. Also, try to dry them in the sun. Keep them in an area with plenty of air circulation, like outside. If you can't put them outside, dry them in the garage with a cheap box fan blowing on them and the boots. Where their is good air circulation, usually you don't find mold.

flyman
06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Woody,
What are they made out of? That will determine what suggestions I make about cleaning them.

Woody
06-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Flyman, Waders are from Cabela's, they are made from the the "Dry-Plus" material which I believe is exclsive to the company. I'm thinking about turning them inside out and runnig them though the washer. My wife already stopped me once, but shes going out with her girl friends this weekend so I might get my chance Saturday after I come by from fishing.

flyman
06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Woody,
I would try washing them by hand with some type of mild powered detergent like Ivory soap flakes. Not bar soap or liquid, that can effect the breathable material. Are the feet neoprene? If the power soap doesn't get the feet clean you can use some type of commercial neoprene cleaning product like this one. Turning them inside out to dry in direct sunlight helps prevent the problem.

http://www.nrsweb.com/repair/wetsuit_shampoo.asp

Woody
06-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks Flyman I will go with the wet suit shampoo. I Noticed from your personal infromation that your a contractor. Do you know any general construction estimators in the DC area looking for employement.

nvr2L8
07-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Woody,
My daughter is in Arlington and has a Civil Engineering degree - has done some roofing estimating but don't know much about other experience. She is working for a historic preservation group up there but might be interested in else.

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss further.

Amazing how you start with stinky boots and get all the way around to construction. How does that work?