PDA

View Full Version : Hazel Vs Eagle Creek...

StayLow
06-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm planning an overnight trip next week for one of these two...I've never been to either but I am leaning toward Hazel....Does anyone have any idea how much water is over there and how the streams are fishing? I know its summer, but would more than a few fishermen be on Hazel midweek?

Grampus
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Have fished both this year. It depends on what you want.

Hazel vs Eagle

Hazel is more crowded
Hazel is larger
Hazel has bigger fish
Hazel is easier to walk up on (bridges instead of wet crossings)

Eagle is less crowded gets less pressure
Eagle has more fish (at least I always catch more on Eagle per trip)
Eagle is smaller in size and tighter to fish
Eagle is easier to hike to (unless you're taking the Fontana ferry)

To boil it down:
If you just want to catch a lot of fish and see fewer people GO EAGLE
If you don't mind people and want at chance at a big brown GO HAZEL

Blessed is the fisherman with choices :confused:

Grampus

mtnman2888
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
A great way to break it down, i couldn't agree more. I would say that hiking to hazel wouldn't be a good idea for just an overnight trip, too long of a hike. Eagle is a pretty good hike from fontana dam, i think about 5.5 miles, but it's do-able. Let us know what you decide.

Craig

StayLow
06-23-2007, 07:17 AM
"Crowded" would be a relative term here, right. I mean its hard to imagine I'd spend alot of time fishing behind or next to anyone midweek on Hazel. Its not any more crowded than Tremont would be midweek, is it?

DryFly1
06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey StayLow,

Just returned from several days on Eagle. Send me your e-mail address at aopimed@comcast.net and I will be more than happy to help. My computer at home is in for some repair work currently,hopefully I will have it back today,so it may take a day or two to respond. The mountians have been getting some rain in the evenings mostly,at least where I have been fishing.

Mark....

mrasnake
06-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I spent a few days backpacking up Eagle Creek a couple weeks ago. The fishing was excellent in the evenings and fairly good at other times of day. It was the first time I have fished Eagle but there seemed to be plenty of water. They seemed to prefer something with a little yellow or olive in the patterns - I did not have much luck with other colors.

I did a similar backpacking trip up Hazel a couple years ago. I think there are more easily accessible and larger holes on Hazel, but I had to fish around more other folks on Hazel than on Eagle. It was still much less crowded than other "drive-in" fishing spots that I have been to.

Try the fontana marina for access. The hike in from the dam is fairly tough with a large pack on, and if you are only spending one night it will cut into fishing time. If they drop you at the mouth of Eagle creek then you only have a short hike up to campsite #89 where you can fish some pretty nice holes up and down from there in relative solitude. If you do it on a weekday you may not see another person there the entire trip.

-Mark

PeteCz
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I've thought about hiking over the top from Cades Cove, but it looks like a pretty tough hike to campsite #97 (elevation chg +3200' & -2500'). Of Course I'm also not thrilled about driving my old Explorer over the Dragon to the Marina from Maryville, either.

How much is the shuttle (ferry) from Fontana Marina?

mtnman2888
06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I think that it is about $50, but i'm not sure. Maybe someone else can give you a definitive answer, but i'm pretty sure it's $50.

Craig

flyman
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Man MT is right, $50 round trip ticket. Until the change of ownership a couple years ago 3 or 4 people could get together and get a reduced price per person. Now it's $50 a person no matter how many you have in your party. I can't quite understand why either. It takes the same amount of gas to take that pontoon boat over there no matter how many people are on it.:p Hiking over ther ridge crest and down into either one of those watersheds is serious business. The upper reaches of either one of those watersheds is steep, remote, and very rugged. Not something I would suggest doing alone. I personally wouldn't pay $50 for just an overnight trip either. There are too many nice places to hike into on your side of the park if you just want to spend a night or two.

Elk riverrat
06-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I paid $40 for two back in 96. Hazel is a good creek but wouldn't have the mystique if you were able to drive up to it in my humble opinion.

mrasnake
07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Agreed. It is a very tough trail. We hiked up to Spence Field and over to Rocky Top from site #97 and the stretch of trail above site 97 is very steep and rugged. We did it without packs and it was tough going up and coming back down. My advice is to pay the ferryman. The last time I went that way it was around $40 with a discount for multiple people - but I think the $50 per person is the going rate now.