PDA

View Full Version : Wow sad to see a bear!

Fishermansfly
06-23-2007, 02:48 AM
While out pounding the streets today a call rang out in regards to a bear on the loose! I had been busy taking some poor dope head to jail and was unaware of the call until notified by the supervisor. This was funny because we were typing/texting eachother about the bear. I believe I asked him if he was pulling my chain! For those who don't know I work for the City of Alcoa! That in itself is a pretty amazing call! The call was more or less shrugged off with no one finding the bear but there had been several bear sitings! I finally cruized back down the street where the bear had originally been spotted at Ford St. To my surprise in mid text with the supervisor, still trying to figure out if he was pulling my chain I see the Channel Six News Crew interviewing a young little lady that had seen the bear....Kinda funny! I interupted them mid interview! Haven't seen the footage yet but I'd imagine my cruiser will fall in field of vision in the interview. Rambling! Anywho, around 9o'clock that evening the bear was spotted again and then spotted by an officer who ran him up a tree. The bear stayed until TWRA could respond on scene and tranq the bear! The bear fell from around 20' out of the tree. A female, none the less! Guestimating, she weighed around 150lbs. A large crowd was aloud to come look closely at the bear as the TWRA officer stood over it! He rolled the bear around for a few minutes trying to locate his darts finally recovering them. He then focuses his attention on finding a tag. To his and everyone elses surprise, the bear had been tagged which read GSM/Great Smokey Mountains! I find it to be absolutely amazing that these guys will come all this way to find food! Sad, really! How our actions and economic developement drive these guys, quite litarally, to our back door!

I have pictures and I will post! It's been a very, very, very long night! Including chasing bears! I would imagine that something on that tag will tell TWRA if the bear has been trapped before! If I find out, I will also post an update. I know we had a cub running around the city back around early winter last year and I begin to wonder if it was her! Lets hope not!

pineman19
06-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey, I heard a couple weeks ago while I was in Gatlinburg from a U TN professor that bears have been spotted in Knoxville. Guess it's not too hard to imagine being it is pretty close to the mountains. After the bear killed a child in Utah recently they said the bears were getting desperate for food du to drought conditions, guess the same would appy to most of the southeast. Hope they don't wonder over to W. TN in search of food, LOL.

russ
06-23-2007, 06:53 PM
You're correct. They caught a black bear in downtown Knoxville about a month ago. It was caught in the old city I think.

pmike
06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
They recently trapped and euthanized a Black Bear on the west side of Jacksonville, Floirda. My best guess is that it was very likely fleeing from one of the many fires that was ongoing at the time. It had been tagged and trapped several times and this was her third strike evidently. I always hate to hear of them having to put a bear down and this one was killed even thought they intially said they weren't going to do so.

Mike

Stonefly
06-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been told by good sources that a bear was trapped and relocated from the Betty's Island area of the Caney Fork a few weeks ago, apparently a couple of days after I'd fished there. That just doesn't strike me as bear country, farm land really. Where on earth it would have come from, I don't know.

sb

WNCFLY
06-25-2007, 07:38 AM
There has been alot of trouble here in Asheville with bears this year. They killed numerous dogs and trashed someone's house. I cant blame the bears, they have to eat as well.

I saw this little guy while fishing a remote stream here in NC yesterday. You cant see the mama bear because she is at the bottom of the tree in the bushes. I did not want to get any closer. http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/BearCub.jpg

Fishermansfly
06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Been a little busy with work and a little bit of everthing else! Here is the pics of that crazed night.

I'm unsure of the bears health or condition! Tried to find out but there hard folks to get ahold of!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC00745.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC00743.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC00742.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/fishermansfly/DSC00741.jpg

StayLow
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
in those pictures. I would want no part of an animal like this in the wild. I'm glad they think the same about us. Whenever I hear people talk about what they are going to do if a bear attacks them, I just imagine a 200-440 lb dog with huge claws and think "if it makes you feel better."

Gerry Romer
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm unsure of the bears health or condition! Tried to find out but there hard folks to get ahold of!

Here's a link to the front page of today's (06/28/07) Maryville Daily Times.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/

There's a front page article on the bear in Springbrook and what they eventually did with her.

Please not that this is the main address for the Daily Times website. If you're linking there on any other date, just enter a search for the article on the black bear in Springbrook Park.

Gerry

FFG Angler
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
The bears appear to be roaming far and wide. I live in Fairfield Glade, north of the 322 exit on 40, near Crossville. Last Sunday morning we woke up with bear tracks all over our neighborhood. It had rained the evening before and several of the newly constructed houses in our neighborhood had just had new topsoil spread within the previous couple of days. The bear walked through almost all of the 40 lots and left deep tracks in the muddy lots and muddy footprints across the street and down driveways. I was able to track him for about 1/2 mile. The only incident was one barbacue grill.

The closest bear populations to me are supposedly 80 miles to the east in GSMNP and 50 miles to the north in the Big South Fork National Recreation Area near the Kentucky border. But bears wander long distance, especially when food is scarce. In Big Bend National Park in Texas, bears re-populated the Chisos mountains by traveling over 50 miles across the desert from Mexico. I am guessing that there will be lots of bear stories this year due to the cold weather this spring that killed a lot of food. Hopefully, they will just be stories and not dead bear stories.