PDA

View Full Version : first time fly fishing the smokies

jeffnles1
06-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Over fathers day weekend, my son and I made our first fishing trip to the Smokies. On Friday, we went out with a guide (Ian Rutler) and had a great time, learned a lot and caught some fish. He was very good with working with my 12 year old son and I appreciated that very much.

On Saturday, I went out to give it a solo try. My boy wanted to float on the river at the "Y" and swim (hey, he' 12). I went to LRO and picked up some flies and other stuff that I just couldn't live without. One of the gentelmen there helped me with selecting some flies to use and suggested I head up the road by Treemont past the pavement and find a place to fish.

Well, that's what I did. There were a LOT of fishermen on that creek. Finding a place to fish where I would not be horning in on someone else's water was not easy, but I continued driving up stream and after what seemed like a couple miles (past the bridge), the crowd started thinning down. I was able to find a few spots where I was not in sight of other fishermen and gave it a try.

I managed to catch five smallish rainbows (6" - 8" range) and had 'hands free releases' on a few others. I also missed a lot of strikes that I'm sure some of you more experienced guys would have hooked up.

But, I thought catching five trout during a 3 hour fishing trip wasn't all that bad for a newbie to the area.

I went out for a couple hours on Sunday morning and only caught one. I didn't go up as far upstream and only made it a little past the pavement on the gravel. I caught one fish that morning and it was not very large at about five inches.

But for my first trip, we caught a number of fish with Ian, and I ended up catching six on my own and had long distance (hands free) releases on at least that many more.

All in all, it was a good trip.

Jeff