PDA

View Full Version : Reservations for backcounrty sites

Vern
06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Coming up in mid july and I was planning on hike into site 23 or 24. I was looking at my trail map and noticed both require reservations. I am assuming I need to call the park to get reservations. Are these sites crowded? I have hiked pass them fishing but have never stayed overnight. Or do you all recomend better sites.

Jack M.
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I think you won't see anyone at the backcountry sites until near dark. That is one of the reasons they want you to reserve space because if too many people show up at dark, there will be tension and it is too late for anyone to move on.

DryFly1
06-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey Vern,

Have a great trip! Just call the back country office for your reservation and fill out your BC pass the day of your trip. Make sure you have your itinerary for them when you call.. You can call 30 days in advance. I have stayed at both of these many times. This time of year there are many FF's, hikers,scouts and youth groups out and you never know who might show up! Typically, #23 will offer more solitude because of distance,but again, this time of year you never know. Have a great time!!!

Mark....

Rog 1
06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
#24 is my favorite backcountry site....4.5 miles in and not too hard....this is a large site but there are several areas that afford a great deal of privacy...on the upper most end of the area.....some of my favorite fishing is to walk back down to the forks of the river and fish back up.....the lower end of FC prong has some great runs and offers good dry fly fishing....above the campsite, up toward 30, the river forks into three streams and if there is enough water this too can offer good fishing.....fishing from the campsite up stream can offer a real opportunity to score a slam on the same stretch of water....please give us a report when you return....a word to the wise, the mice here are terrible and you need to protect your food even when hanging from the bear cables.

Vern
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the info. How far is 23 I hve been up there but fished my way up. I am thinking the trail was also good the whole way. I am think about coming in after work on a thursday and hiking into 24 friday then head over to 24 saturday. But i don't to kill all my fishing time hiking.

DryFly1
06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey Vern,

BC 23 is roughly 8 miles +/-. You can hike in to BC 24 early Friday morning,set up camp, and with the long day light hours fish way into the evening. You can break camp Saturday morning and hike up to BC 23 and repeat the process. The trail is well maintained. Just remember that it's a full hike out! I have seen a lot of bears lately in the back country. They have all headed “south” at the first site of me. I can't be that ugly? My bear whistle sends them to the bushes! Have a great trip....

Mark...

Vern
06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
I must be thinking of another site. I don't think I fished in 8 miles, that a little far for an semi in shape chunky 46 yr old. Lst time I was up there was last sept and i was about a mile or so up fish camp prong and a bear huffed at me and I decided that it was time to head back. 8 miles without a pack is doable, but with a pack it's really pushing my limits. Hey, I could load Gaintfish to the max 30-40# and I will carry his fly rod and my fishing gear.:biggrin:

Rog 1
06-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Another doable option.....go into 24 the first night and fish below or up the fish camp prong the next morning.....then go up to 30 the next afternoon....this is what was tradtionally known as the Three Forks area....lots of small stream fishing here and had been closed to fishing until last year.....