PDA

View Full Version : Back from Hazel

StayLow
06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
The severity of the drought was really brought out on seeing the lake when arriving at the marina. The ferry pilot said the water was down 32 ft from normal. The round trip cost for the ferry was 50 dollars. It was a good trip and after a two hour steady rain on the hike up to campsite 84 the water was a little muddy. After setting up camp, i put on a greenie weanie and right off the bat caught the two biggest fish of the trip... 10 and 11 inch rainbow trout. There appeared to be plenty of water in the creek and, because I was alone, there were some nice holes I avoided beacause of it. In fact, on the lower end, I could not imagine wading it if it had more than 6 or so more inches in it... very swift and deep in some areas.

Here's an address to pictures. Anyone know what the cement bunker is?

http://mainlypicts.spaces.live.com/

old tom
06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Not sure exactly what the bunker was used for, but it's part of the old logging town. There used to be a pretty good story board just as you crossed the creek at the Calhoun House. It showed where all the buildings were, pictures from the past, etc. I'm thinking the bunker was beside where one of the ponds used to be, so it may have something to do with the holding of the logs in the water.

DryFly1
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
StayLow,

Glad you had a successful and safe trip! Thanks for the photos. I believe the "bunker" is actually an old valve/powerhouse for the old ritter sawmill at proctor. Hazel has an amazing history in its settlers, native indians and lumber days!!! Anyone going to hazel should really read all you can about this area before going,it adds to the trail journey up hazel creek....

Mark....

StayLow
06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
were surely built to last...including the cast iron hardware on a few of them. They look like something off the Maginot Line. I did pick up A Pocket History of Appalachia on the way up. It is truly amazing what has gone on that area compared to the wilderness we see now. The one thing I did not realize was the copper mining and that the area around Eagle Creek was a moonscape secondary to smelting.

Oh yeah, the story board was out for repairs.

Hoss
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
$ 50 bucks round trip WOW, guess people quit using them last year after they started charging $ 50 bucks one way. I knew that wouldn't last long.

old tom
06-28-2007, 05:17 PM
There's a book about the history of Fontana that will probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the area. It won't keep you awake at night reading it, but all in all, pretty interesing. http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,434.htm

Gerry Romer
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I would encourage anyone interested in a "flavor" of the area as it was settled in the 19th century to read Charles Frazier's second book Thirteen Moons. It's a fictional autobiography/coming-of-age story of an orphaned 13 year old white boy sold into the wilderness to run a trading post which just happens to be located on the outskirts of the Cherokee Nation. It's a fascinating read. Highly recommended!

Gerry Romer

old tom
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I agree Gerry. I'm about half way thru Thirteen Moons right now.