PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake near Knoxville Monday

mtnman2888
06-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Hello all, I was messing around the usgs website looking at water levels in nc and tn when i started looking aroudn the website and found a section on earthquake activity. Apparently, there was a magnitude 2.3 quake near knoxville monday afternoon about 3. After reading a little more, the east tn seismic zone is actually pretty active with quakes that people don't feel. Here's the link because i'm sure some of you won't believe me, haha.....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/sehwb0625b.php#details

Anyways, just thought it was kinda interesting and was wondering if anyone felt it? Wonder what the trout must think?!

Craig

Kevin_Thomas
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
They must not have been too upset. I brought a cool dozen to hand Tuesday morning in less than three hours on one of my favorite Smokey Mountain streams ;).

ttas67
06-29-2007, 12:30 AM
craig, I've felt earthquakes here a few different times. I can remember once as a kid, the house rumbled, and my dad said it was an earth quake. I remember feeling one in my old house in south knox just a few years ago that was quite noticeable. I and my other 2 roomates all converged from different parts of the house to figure out what just happened. it sounded like and felt like a dump truck had slammed into the side of the house. most people usually don't notice them. they're small and quick enough, where they just sound like a slight rumble, maybe like the pipes shaking in your house. if you look into it, you'll find that knoxville has suffered some massive quakes in the past.

you've inspired me to pull out book on knoxville history that I read a few years ago. I'm sitting here looking at it, and it's almost unbelievable. this is what it says, paraphrased by me:

185 years ago, knoxville sustained the most powerful and prolonged quake known, even up to today. a nearby mountain shot fire out of its side. the french broad river produced a 30-40 foot tidal wave.

now, these wild claims were taken from newspaper stories from the time. how much is exaggeration is unknown, but It is known that this is the same set of quakes that caused the mississippi to flow backwards and create the reelfoot lake. so yes, tennessee has a pretty active seismic zone.

mtnman2888
06-29-2007, 05:08 AM
I can remember an earthquake that was felt on the nc side of the hills probably about ten years ago. It was felt in mooresville, nc and it was strong enough to knock a few things off of the walls, such as pictures and what not. That may have been a little more than ten years ago, not sure, but i do remember it happening. Just thought it was kind of interesting. I have to admit, stuff like that piques my curiousity.

Craig

golfballs03
06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
They are common. There's a monitor up in one of the science and engineering buildings at UT that shows all of the occuring seismic activity in the area. There are always little bubbles popping up on the screen in and around the smokeys but they're all normally too small to feel.

EggMcTrout
06-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Tennessee is sitting in or on the New Madrid Fault line. Earthquakes have been happening here since who knows when. Check here to see the most recent activity.

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/

I have lived in California and Alaska and the ones here don't even hold a candle to the ones that I have felt. We used to have one about every month when I lived in Alaska. I still remember sitting in the Den in California and feeling an aftershock of the quake that tried to level San Fran back in the late 80's.

kytroutman
06-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I personally have always wondered about earthquakes since we do have them frequently, though more tremors in Kentucky and East TN. If you look at the number of "hot springs" that exist in the Appalachians from WV to SC, one would have to wonder about the potential for volcanic activity, so the old story of fire shooting from the mountain side may not be as far fetched as one would think. There was a minor quake during the late '70s felt as far north as the Corbin, KY area and south as far as the Morristown area. The people at the time said it was related to the "goings on" at the Oak Ridge facility. By the way, the New Madrid fault line lies in far Western TN and Western KY near Dyersburg and Paducah and actually follows much of the Mississippi River valley. It is interesting reading of the last major quake that hit that area that was responsible for forming Reelfoot Lake and supposedly was strong enough to ring the church bells in Boston, MA according to newspaper accounts. That was in the early 1800's so I guess we are over due.

WNCFLY
07-02-2007, 07:48 AM
We had a earthquake here in Asheville a few years ago. It was pretty strong. I remember all my dishes sliding off the counter and just a very weird rumbling sound. I sounded as if a giant boulder was tearing down the mountain at my house, I believe it was a 4.8 or something like that.