PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for A Guided Float Trip - Clinch

Timz
06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm considering doing a guided float trip on the Clinch and would like to seek some advice.

1. When is the best time to float the river with the generation schedules?

2. How difficult might it be to fly cast from a boat? I've only waded in the past and have never fly cast from a boat.

3. Will I need sinking fly line for this trip?

4. I want to take my son with me and he only spin fishes. With this cause any problems?

5. Does anyone have any suggestion on a guide?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Timz

Rockyraccoon
07-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Hey Tim,

Just a quick response to your questions.

1. For the most part your still looking at trying to fish with low water. Something with 6 -7 hors of low water in the morning and some one turbine to fish out on is perfect. A two turbine push late in the day will still give up a few fish but for the most part the hot action usually quits when the high water sets in.

2. You'd love a driftboat. They are basically engineered to be wonderful casting platforms and you'll find that casting from them is fairly easy. The knee locks will really make you feel secure in a drifter and you'll be impressed with how stable they are in the water.

3. A sinking fly line can help in some situations and most guides can supply that if needed. For the most part, a floating line will serve you fine.

4. Getting kids out on the water and working a fishing rod is the main thing and I don't know many guides that would mind a young man or woman working a spinning rod at all.

5. There's a lot of guide services that work the river. I do some work on the Clinch and I have quite a few friends that also work on the Clinch. Hugh Hartsell, Mike Bone and a few others work the river as well and I'm sure a good time could be had with all of them. It's too late to go looking for links to websites but I'm sure some of the folks on the board will chime in.

Have fun!