PDA

View Full Version : 15 1/2 ft canoe

FFM4LIFE
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I am looking into buying a 15 1/2 ft canoe to mainly float the clinch and other tailwaters. Would this size canoe be dependable to float with 1 or more generators? Also, are you able to fly fish out of a canoe? Any advice it appreciated.

Thanks
ffm4life

billyspey
07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
sounds good to me one in knoxville paper for sale today.

boxman
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
I have fished the watauga and holston tailwaters out of a 17' canoe with some success. Both rivers are tough when generating, even with only one turbine on. The canoe works very well for low water on the watauga or a pulse on the holston, but gets scary when the water comes on. I fish both rivers out of a drift boat during generation and have had several people who fish with me agree that a canoe is out of the question, especially on the watauga. I don't mean to discourage you, only to caution you about the rivers while the turbines are on. Canoes are great to run the rivers, but fishing out of them can be dangerous. A small raft would be the minimum for me.

Kingstonian
07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
My experience is that a canoe is good to fish the Clinch with the water down, then ride on to Clinton when the water rises. Spin fishing is possible, but there is a lot of effort is keeping the canoe headed downstream and watching for obstacles that makes it tough to flyfish under generation.

Resist the urge to anchor in the current.

FFM4LIFE
07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!! If a canoe is out of the question, what would be some other options for fly fishing while the water is generating or not generating?

Thanks

Kingstonian
07-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Since no one else answered yet...

Like I said, I like a canoe with the water off. With 1-2 generators, I've always fished out of a motorized aluminum boat, but that isn't really workable with the water off except is fairly limited areas.

I have never fished from an inflatable pontoon, but if you found one rated for class II whitewater, I would think that would work well, water on or off. There are guys on this board and others (ETFFF for example) who use pontoons a lot and could give you some advice on brands, capabilities, and limitations. You might want to post a thread under "Pontoon advice" or something similar to get their attention. For under $1000 you can even get a two-man if you are wanting to buddy fish. More than a canoe, but certainly less than a drift boat or a jon boat.

Just remember that even in summer, the water is brutally cold for unexpected immersion, and when generating, you certainly need to wear a PFD in a mini-boat of any kind.

Hoosier
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Though I have not fished those waters from a canoe, I have others and fly fishing is somewhat uncomfortable for me in it. I have a 17' Freedome cedar strip. A few years ago I took a trip with a guide out of Nashville on the Caney Fork, Jay Clementi, and he had a neat rig. Kind of a hybrid canoe/john. If I remember right it was called a River hawk. It had a small outbaord on it. He also got it set up with a stablizer so you could stand in it and cast quite comfortablt (sp?). Even has a stripping basket attached. He has a web site so you can just google his name out of Nashville. Seemed like a real nice guy and I am sure he would give you the specs on the boat.

OLDBEAU
07-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Though I have not fished those waters from a canoe, I have others and fly fishing is somewhat uncomfortable for me in it. I have a 17' Freedome cedar strip. A few years ago I took a trip with a guide out of Nashville on the Caney Fork, Jay Clementi, and he had a neat rig. Kind of a hybrid canoe/john. If I remember right it was called a River hawk. It had a small outbaord on it. He also got it set up with a stablizer so you could stand in it and cast quite comfortablt (sp?). Even has a stripping basket attached. He has a web site so you can just google his name out of Nashville. Seemed like a real nice guy and I am sure he would give you the specs on the boat.

I HAVE FISHED THE CLINCH SINCE THE LATE '70S. WADING WITHOUT GENERATION AND FLOATING WITH 1 OR 2 GENERATORS. I USED A GRUMMAN 17' AND A COLEMAN SCANOE WITH A 4HP JOHNSON. BOTH SERVED THEIR PURPOSE, BUT I NOW HAVE A 15' RIVER HAWK WITH THE SAME 4HP JOHNSON. I DID PURCHASE A JOHNSON 6HP THAT WORKS BETTER WITH 2 GENERATORS.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE THE RIVER HAWK MAKES WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR 50S. QUITE STABLE...
I HAUL IT EVERYWHERE, INCLUDING 4 DAYS ON THE CALDERWOOD LAKE LAST WEEK.

I RECOMMEND THIS MODEL IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. I PAID DEALER COST @ $700.00, BUT ALREADY HAD A TRAILER AND MOTOR.

YOU SURE CAN COVER A LOT OF WATER TROLLING FOR HUGE BROWNS AND RAINBOWS......ONE RAINBOW WENT OVER 4 LBS!

GOOD LUCK, AND GET BACK WITH ME ...OR LOOK UP RIVERHAWK BOATS ON THE NET.
OLD BEAU KNOXVILLE

Hoosier
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I was very intent on getting the set up a year ago, but with two kids seems like we were broke a lot, now with 3, seems like we are in debt, but the research I did on the River Hawk seemed to be somewhat reasonable. I also thought I saw somewhere that the Conservation Officers are utilizing some these as well and they like them.

Maybe in a few years.

StayLow
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
just watch out, this is a scary river when it is flowing.