PDA

View Full Version : TFO Pro series????????

BuckeyeRick
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I am putting together a 3wt combo for my nephew and I have never fished the TFO Pro series. Anyone have any comments? He will be using it as a stream rod for warmwater species and probably won't be tossing a lot of tiny Trout flies. I looked at the Sage Launch and the Winston Ascent, but they seemed a lot faster (stiffer) than the TFO. I would probably go with one of those if he was going to use it for Trout.

The TFO is the 8'6" 4 pc model and I'm matching it with an Orvis BBSII and the new Wonderline. Opinions? Thanks.

boxman
07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
I would opt for a 5 weight in a 8ft. to 8ft. 6in. size. The larger line weight will allow him to throw poppers and wooly buggers as well as cast weighted flies better. The extra backbone of a 5 weight will help in fighting larger fish as well. He can also use the larger size for trout as well if he heads in that direction. I have several tfo rods and my favorite is a 7'9" finesse series 5 weight (4 piece). The pro series is a faster action than the finesse and will make a good choice for warmwater species while saving a few dollars as well. I also have the reel you mention on mine and like it very well. Thanks for teaching him to flyfish, he will always appreciate you for it!

Kevin_Thomas
07-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I have the 4wt and the 5wt. I prefer the 4wt, but as boxman said it doesn't have the spine for poppers. To me the 5wt feels much heavier, but it is necessary.

Elk riverrat
07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
For what it's worth, I started my bride out with a 7'6" #3, mistake, should have been a 5 or 6 weight. I use to be a super light liner, now find I fish a #5 as my light line rod except for a #4 for the Appalachians and I don't make it up like I did with the price of crude. Hard to make the trip with I can walk 600 feet in front of the house and be on a tailwater.

kytroutman
07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Rick:

Daniel hooked me up with the 8'6" 4wt and 5wt 4 piece rods with the BBS reels. I have Orvis and Sage rods but quite honestly, like the TFO's just as well, if not better. Too bad I found that out after I spent the money on the more expensive rods.

Sage
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Rick,
I fish a 8' 4wt TFO Pro in the park and I love it. If picking one up for warmwater, I'd go with a 5wt. The 4 does good for double nymph until I throw on a big bugger or a lot of split shot. It just doesn't have the backbone to handle the load. The weight difference of a #4 vs. a #5 is only a few ounces at most, but the performance is quite substantial. Plus, the 5wt. won't be outgrown. As for the TFO, don't tell Lefty but he could charge double and they would still be great value rods.

KPOJ
07-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a 9 ft 4 wt and have fished it for a couple of years now. It is a really comfortable rod to fish. I don't think you could go wrong buying a TFO Pro.

KPOJ

Plunker
07-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Rick,
One of my favorite possessions is my TFO Pro 7'6" 3wt with TFO Midge reel.
I do have it uplined with 4wt DT simply because I was having a little trouble feeling the rod load with the 3 WF.
Since the change, I find this rod in my hand more and more often. I typically travel with this rod and a Frequent Flyer 5Wt (which is considerably stiffer). I like casting the Flyer, but LOVE casting the TFO PRO. I find them to have equally good backbone for panfish, small bass, and 8"-10" trout...It is just more fun with the 3wt:biggrin:

For your nephew you might want to consider something else...just so he will have something to fish with. Get it in your hands and you'll love it.

EggMcTrout
07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I just got a TFO Pro 7"6" 4 piece a few months ago. Added an Orvis MA II w/ #3 Wonderline and love the action I get out of the rod. I tend to prefer the lighter, shorter rod for the Park just because I like a little more fight out of the prey.;)

Actually found some spots on the hike to Abrams falls and managed some pretty good roll casts even w/ a double nymph rig. Your nephew might get more fish to net w/ a little something heavier though.

BuckeyeRick
07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I picked the rod & reel yeterday. First of all, it is a great looking set-up. The flat black with the black gloss trim is very cool. I got it home and stuck my 3wt reel on it - it cast beautifully. I did get the 3wt because he already has a 5 and an 8. Thanks again for all the feedback. This is why these boards are so important.

cardfly
07-17-2007, 08:20 AM
After watching this post with great interest, I called LRO and talked to Ted. I got the TRO Pro 8'6" and Orvis BBSII all in 5 wt. I ordered it Friday and got in Monday. What great service!

Haven't fished it yet but got out in the backyard last night and what a difference from what I had. Even my 6 year old could feel the difference. (He and I are learning flyfishing together)

I did get a nice lawn trout though. :smile:

Thanks again Ted and LRO for the great service.

Byron Begley
07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Cardfly,

Thanks for the comments about the shop. We all appreciate that and your decision to shop here. I have a TFO Professional 9 Wt. I LOVE IT! I have some more expensive heavy rods but I choose to use the TFO because I can cast better with it.

Byron

TNFishnstix
07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
I own a lot of fly fishing equipment, and I build fly rods, mostly bamboo, but when it comes to my "go to" graphite, I usually pick one of the 5 TFO's that I own. Not only are they great rods for the money or for any money, but the service behind them is fantastic (less than a 7 day turn around on a broken section once!!). I am certain that the service from Byron is excellent (we miss you guys in Nashville, Byron), and hopefully you will never have to experience the wonderful service from Dallas and the great TFO staff there.

Leo deMonbreun
Tennessee Fishin Stix