PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Biologists (and real experts) (lol)

jdwindon
07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Okay I need some help. I hear and believe that stocked trout have white flesh. I believe that natives have pink, just like salmon.

My neighbor, last name Hearon, parents being former residents of Cade's Cove say that the trout in Chilhowee that have pink flesh are stockers that turn pink. Is this possible?

Also, I know from the school of trout knocks that Lower Abrams holds no trout in summer and early fall. However, do the 'Bow's & Browns go up from Chilhowee into Abram's to spawn? If so, when?

Just trying to become a "Local" after three years and debunk myths and tall tales.

Maybe Walter B. can shed some light?

SupaFly
07-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I do not have a degree in biology and I definitely am no expert, but I am pretty sure the diet of the trout affects flesh color. I am also pretty sure that crustaceans are the primary source for the pigment that colors the flesh. It is certainly possible for stockers to have color to their flesh if their diet contains enough of the right food. Zoos enhance flamingo colors by manipulating their diet. They get most of their coloring in the wild from consuming brine shrimp, but most zoos feed "flamingo chow" with additives for color enhancement.

I don't know too much about the Chilhowee trout.

I hope this helps.