PDA

View Full Version : Wish I was fishin now

BamaBum
07-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I have been reading this board for a while and love it. I wish I were fishing in the park right now!!

Anybody have advice about the best place to catch browns in the Park this time of year and level of water?

Kentucky Kid
07-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I fished the park this last friday through tuesday and stopped by lro to see if they could give me any info on where to catch browns. They told me to tyr the little river above elkmont, mainly because the vinyl hatch was so heavy 4th of july weekend, anyways I had no luck with the browns but did catch some bows 2 of which were in the 12 inch range. If I could've stayed longer i would have gone 4 browns more than 1 day but I had to go 4 brookies. They on the other hand were hittting just about anything. If you get tired of going for browns try brookies. Oh and I had my best luck fishing from about 3 till dark. The mornings just werent as productive as u would think. I hope u get some brownies. Let us know how u do.

Zack

BamaBum
07-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanx Zack. I caught several Brookies the first week of June above Greenbrier. They are fun. I fished for Browns during that time also but was spooked by a very agressive snake (copperhead maybe). I was in the river on the road headed to Cades Cove when he decided he needed to be on the rock I was on....so I let him!!!

Kentucky Kid
07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
I try to give snakes a wide berth when I can because of what youre talking about. So many people I fish with say snakes will move when they hear u coming but more than once I have also been scared out of a spot by a water moccasin or copperhead. Up here in kentucky they are fairly common on the smallmouth streams I frequent so I can understand where ur coming from, plus I dont really love those creatures in the 1st place.:biggrin:

Zack

ijsouth
07-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I caught my first 4 browns (and got a Smokies Slam of all 3 species) a few weeks ago on Straight Fork. They weren't huge, but they were pretty.

David Knapp
07-05-2007, 12:10 AM
I caught my first 4 browns (and got a Smokies Slam of all 3 species) a few weeks ago on Straight Fork. They weren't huge, but they were pretty.

Lots of streams good for browns on that side of the park...;)

ijsouth
07-05-2007, 01:29 AM
I was actually surprised...I haven't really targeted browns yet - in fact, my focus is usually on small streams and brookies. A couple of Sundays ago, in one stretch, I caught 3 browns, while my daughter caught a bow and a brookie. Funny how things work out.

BamaBum
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I actually caught my first Slam the first week of June when I was spooked by the snake. I must say that snake got me a new St. Croix Rod, due to breaking mine while trying to escape without a bite!!! I am headed back up to fish again over the weekend of the 21st of July. Are there many people tubing above Elkmont or is it to far out for them? I have not had much luck fishing after tubers have been around.

Rog 1
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Most of the tubers in Elkmont stay within the limits of the campground....walk about 30 minutes above the last bridge and start fishing....you will usually find yourself pretty much alone....good chance for some brown trout up that way...good luck.

BamaBum
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanx. I hope to post several browns caught from there soon!!