PDA

View Full Version : Big Creek info needed

river rat
07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
We are headed to Big Creek to camp for four days and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to what to expect. This my first trip to the campground and I am packing my fly fishing gear to use before the wife and kids get up in the morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh Hartsell
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey RR,
I'm just up the road from you and I'm wondering if I know you.
Big Creek will probably be running low as are most of the Park streams. There will be lots of tubers and small boards to ride white water with in the area. An offshoot of the river rafting on the Pigeon River, which is nearby. You will have lots of backcountry hiking and fishing available to you if you take the Walnut Bottoms Trail. The lower and middle sections of the stream are pretty rugged with huge boulders, so beware. The water is crystal clear, so 6-7X is the order of the day.We wish you good luck and let us know how you do.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

sammcdonald
07-04-2007, 11:32 AM
big creek campground was reported full this morning. let me correct that, they made no report this morning but dispatch thought they were full from prior report.

mtnman2888
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
If i'm not mistaken, it's a small walk to the campsite, anywhere from 100-200 feet. I don't believe that you can just drive your vehicle right up to the campsite so keep that in mind.

Like hugh said, i believe that this part of the park is pretty popular with swimmers and the such. I know there are several swimming holes i have heard about that are popular. Shame, you know some of them holes hold some nice fish. Where mouse creek runs into big creek, i believe about 1 mile up, is midnight hole. Anyways, further upstream there are lots of tributaries if you are willing to put in the walking time. If you just have the morning to fish before the family gets active, this may not be an option for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

I may head up that way this weekend, not sure yet, but if i do i will let you know how it goes.

Craig