PDA

View Full Version : cosby creek?

milligan trout degree
07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
hey, i've been in daytona for the past few days and finally found some internet access. when i get back, i'm thinking of going to cosby creek for some fishing since i can get to cosby in about half the time it takes me to get to townsend from my work in dandridge and through tourist traffic.

for all those who know about fishing cosby creek. is the only fishing worth doing deeper into cosby? as in around cosby campground, or can you have any luck fishing the stream closer to the interstate. that would make fishing multiple days a week much more feasible for me. any information is appreciated. thanks guys.

ijsouth
07-07-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't know about Cosby outside of the park (I have a non-resident N.C. license, so I have to stick with the park)...I know it's regularly stocked outside of the park. As far as inside the park is concerned, it's a wonderful stream, even right next to the campground; it's probably the most convenient stream in which to catch brookies; I had some wonderful times this spring on Cosby. However, when I last fished it last month, it was EXTREMELY low in the campground area on up - a lot of places where I caught fish in April were bone dry. The temperature was still ok - low 60s - but I decided at that point not to fish it again until the area got a really good soaking; I just don't want to add to the stress of the fish right now.

Now, the water levels were better lower down, right were the stream leaves the park. I caught a nice 'bow there, and spooked a fish that was every bit of a foot long, which is huge for such a small stream. You probably won't see any brookies that far down, however. No matter where you fish it in the park, realize it is a small stream with some very tight casting conditions - sneak up on the fish and keep your casts as short as possible. Again, I would leave the upper portions alone until we get some more water.

ttas67
07-07-2007, 05:43 AM
if you want to fish low and close in, you may want to try the lower greenbriar area.

milligan trout degree
07-07-2007, 07:56 PM
i didnt realize they stocked that stream at all, and im all for leaving pressure off the struggling sections of the stream and the fish in the park area. i may ride over monday or tuesday and see how it looks. if the water looks really low, i'll just come back to the pigeon and do some smallmouth fishing instead.