PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

cardfly
07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I have started fly fishing this summer and love it. Having only caught 4 so far is a little tough on the old ego but I am thrilled everytime I go out. My 6 year old is learning with me and he loves it. I have a 2 year old that says "fly fishing" everytime he sees a creek.

I want to take one of the classes at little river. How are they and where are some places to stay while you are there?

thanks

D

nvr2L8
07-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Welcome D,

I just started fly fishing in May and began with a class at Little River Outfitters. The class was great. There was classroom time where we covered knots, entomology, gear, reading streams, etc. Time was spent in the back of the store learning casting techniques. All of this gets put to use up in the streams in the Smokies with instructors right there helping you out with the basics. Our class covered all this in one day but other classes spread it out over a couple of days covering everything in a little more depth.

I would highly recommend the LRO classes. They will having you catching fish in no time. Don't know how I would have ever gotten started otherwise.

Best of luck - see you on the streams!

cardfly
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Charlie,

I have signed up for Saturday and Sunday classes. I can't wait to get there.

D

ijsouth
07-08-2007, 05:23 PM
There are a bunch of places to stay in Townsend - I would advise making reservations this time of year...in the winter, I could get away with just showing up.

cardfly
07-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks ijsouth,

I'm going in September and have reservations in Townsend. I wish it was next weekend.

ijsouth
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Shoot...you're close to the Smokies compared to me...we've been up for New Year's, just after Mardi Gras, April, then twice in three weeks in June...and now next weekend. I probably need to just go ahead and buy a little chunk of land somewhere up there and pitch a tent.

Even if we don't catch much, it's quite a relief compared to the typical south Louisiana weather.

cardfly
07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
sounds like it. I have been coming to Smokies for years with my family and have really got the fly fishing bug this summer.

Pitching a tent sounds good too.

David Knapp
07-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Welcome aboard! Enjoy the LRO classes...they do a great job!

Paula Begley
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
We look forward to having you in the class! Welcome to the board!

Paula