PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Summertime Flies

UTKFlyFisher
07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
So lets hear it. Whats your top 5 picks you will never leave without during the hot summer months.

Kytroutbum
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Foam Beetle- dry cast into shaded areas
weighted beetle- fished wet in riffles
Green weenie v.2- tied as a chartruese beadheaded-san juan worm
small Renegades
small stimulators- yellow sallie stonefly

I'd also suggest an ant pattern- I don't use them due to eyesight and my beetles working

Kytroutbum

sammcdonald
07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
fish mace....mountain piranha in this low water are really dangerous.

scflyfisher
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
1. Green weenie unweighted
2. Green weenie w/split shot
3. Tellico
4. Disco Beetle
5. Green weenie dropped off a disco beetle

It's hard to tell from my list, but I like the K.I.S.S. method, it hardly ever lets me down in the summer and into the fall.

Matt

Troutman
07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Dries:
Stimies...yellow and grey
Beetles....foam with rubber legs
Ants........para cinn. and black
Nymphs:
Big rubber leg tellicos
Grampus (JP's special)

Brian Griffing
07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone, I have been reading this site for a little while, but this is my first post. Anyway, I have only lived in TN for a year and grew up fishing in the Rockies, but I am really suprised to see that no one has mentioned a deer hair hopper as a great fly for fishing in the heat of summer.

Kytroutbum
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
The "beetle mania" is due to the large number and diversity of beetle found in the lower Appalachians. We are in the Beetle Capital of the world! I don't remember seeing many/ if any hoppers in the mountains. I'm heading toward Wyoming and the Beartooths in August and am sitting down to tie hoppers right now!

dailey624
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Chartruse Weenie(Weighted)
Geenie Weenie(Weighted)-Or fished with split shot
Black Ant- Fished down and across and let it sit
Smoky Mountain Candy- During eveng mayfly hatch
Yellow Stimulator

Rog 1
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Early fall can be a great time to fish a hopper on some of the bigger water where there is some some and grass along the streams....I have thrown a large hopper onto some of the bigger pools on the Little Pigeon and thought the water was holding bream and bass based on huge hits that were elicited by these monster bugs.....one of my biggest bows in the park took a Hornberg that I was fishing as a dry fly.....looked like a big ole grasshopper out on the water....doesn't always work but I always carry a couple if things get slow