PDA

View Full Version : Frank Church Wilderness, Idaho

hw3
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Fellow flyfishers:
Am off next month for annual Western Trout Pursuit, and first flying into the Frank Church Wilderness Area in Idaho by small planes to spend three days. Anyone ever had the pleasure? I think stream is Big Cabin Creek, but not sure. There is a dirt strip near where we will camp, but not too sure about anything else. Planning to wet wade, as there is not much water and streams are small, but I am unsure about gear, flies, etc. Any help is appreciated.
Skip Watson

ChemEAngler
07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I know that is a very large area, but are you planning on hitting the middle fork of the Salmon River. I have heard that fishing there is another one of those once in a lifetime experiences that can reward you with some amazing west slope cutthroat. Looking into taking a trip out there in the next couple of years myself.

Travis

ttas67
07-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I heard a quick blip on fox news radio yesterday and this is basically what it said: that hundreds of rainbow and brown trout are dead in streams in idaho, just outside of yellowstone, due to severe heat. the water temp had reached 83 degrees. they specifically said hundreds, not thousands.

anybody heard of this? apparantly it was tragic enough that they should mention it on the news.

mstone
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
There was a short piece on this in the USA Today. This article said the fish kill was on the Firehole river, in the Park. Like Fox news, it said hundreds of rainbows and browns.

ttas67
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah, so it's inside the park as well. I guess the firehole's out of the question for the trip I'm making there in a few weeks.

ChemEAngler
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I actually heard that the NPS has asked for voluntary stream closings on the Firehole, Madison, Gibbon, Slough, Yellowstone, and many other smaller streams. I had heard that they were requesting a voluntary closure of these streams for the whole day, but specifically requested that nobody fish from noon until 6 p.m. due to the high temperatures and low flows.

hw3
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I just re-read our itinerary for ID and dirt strip is at Cabin Creek about the middle of Big Creek, that is a tributary of the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Blurb says west slope cutthroats, rainbows that are steelhead parr, an occasional bull, and a few brookies. Plan to float the Middle Fork for a day after we come out of Cabin Ck. Skip

Jswitow
07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
I read an article about the Firehole which said the same thing. The kill occurred at the lower end just above the falls. It noted rainbows and browns. Several hundred were noted. Hopefully the heat wave will pass soon, maybe they can even get some rain. Cool weather is more realistic though.

Have a good trip, fish early, hike and sightsee the rest of it.
Best,
John