PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to September

jeffnles1
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
My son and I are looking forward to our 2nd trip to the Smokies. Unfortunately, the only time I can get off work and he can get out of school is in September during Labor Day weekend.

I believe there will be big crowds in the park, but hope to get some fishing in while there for the weekend.

What can one expect that time of year? I will be reading the LRO fishing reports and head into the shop upon arriving in Townsend, but thought I'd ask here too.

I know it's early to predict, but assuming average weather and rainfall for the rest of the summer...

Thanks,
Jeff

OK to contact me off list is you want
jeffnles1 at insightbb dot com

Rog 1
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Where will you be staying and where do you want to fish mostly?

jeffnles1
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Where will you be staying and where do you want to fish mostly?

We'll be staying in Townsend at the Family Inn. We'll be pulling in Friday evening (I hope early enough to stop by LRO otherwise be there early Saturday am).

I've fished up by Elkmont and up the gravel road by Tremont before with pretty good results. I'm open for nearly anything in the park. I've never fished there in that time of year so I really don't know.

It would be cool to try for some brookies but that is not a requirement. My boy is 12 and looses interest after a few hours in the stream. Typically, he's really into it for the first three hours, will tolerate it for another hour or so and then he's done. I promised him we'd go into Piegon Forge and Gatlinburg sometime over the weekend.

If we're catching fish or getting strikes his interest level is higher than when we're not (just like any kid I guess). He's pretty good with the flyrod and last month we fished one day in the park and he caught 5 or 6 rainbows up by Elkmont (up the gravel path just past the bridge).

We'll have all day Saturday, Sunday and an hour or two in the morning on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Rog 1
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Sounds like you have hit some of the best spots...a lot will depend on water levels....if you have promised your son some time in Gatlinburg I would give the WP of the LPigeon a shot....somewhere between the Chimneys picnic area and park HQ....take one of the quiet walkways down and find a place to put in...lots of plunge pools....try above the Chimneys trailhead...Walker Camp Prong for a brookie or two.

jeffnles1
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
....somewhere between the Chimneys picnic area and park HQ....take one of the quiet walkways down and find a place to put in...lots of plunge pools....try above the Chimneys trailhead...Walker Camp Prong for a brookie or two.

Rog 1,
Thanks. I've never fished the WP of the little Piegon river. That may be an interesting morning before heading into the lion's den... oops, I mean Gatlinburg.

Chimine's trail head (Walker Camp Prong)? Is that on up the road as if heading to newfound gap?

Thanks,
Jeff

3wt
07-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah I would definitely recommend going to West prong of the little pigeon river aswell. Especialy if your in Gatlinburg. My brother dad and I all fished there for brookies and all managed about 5 or 6 each in about three or four hours and that was our second time fishing in smokies and first brook trout. All were between 5-8in.

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey jeffnles1
I do not know why this is the case but most of all my fishing is done on the Wp of the little pigeon. There is usually a spot or two (anywhere you pull off of the road and walk down to the water and there doesn't even have to be a trail just listen for the water and go to it) where you wouldn't run into a soul all day long...even in the busiest times of the year. In the fall, if the water temps are right a parachute adams will do the trick, just make sure to get a good drift. Really I have had luck with just about any kind of fly on the WP of the lil pigeon. Check the LRO website closer to that time to see the nymps that are working. Good luck...Anywhere from the sugarlands visitor center to the around the chimneys trail head (a little above it or below it)...
-Ahudd

jeffnles1
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks forthe tips on the WP. Sounds like we'll be there on Sunday for sure and maybe even Saturday evening. My son also appreciates it. Daniel is looking forward to this, especially spending some time with me in Gburg at the junk shops and maybe we can take in the aquarium.

Jeff