PDA

View Full Version : South Holston Campgrounds....

ChemEAngler
07-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I am planning a trip to the SoHo this weekend and would like to stay somewhere near the river. I would prefer to camp on the river if possible. Can anyone offer any suggestions for campgrounds or even cheap hotels?

Travis

mstone
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
The Best Western in Johnson City is about 65 bucks a nite. The closest campground I know of is the one on the Wautauga river not real far away. Riverridge, I think is the name. Going up myself this weekend, probably go with the B.W.
mstone

Jswitow
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure about campgrounds, but used to work that as part of my sales territory. There was a Fairfield in Johnson City and a Red Roof. At the time 39 and 49 dollars respectively. Both are close to the main street which you would take to get to Piney Flats, there are many restaurants on that street as well.
Good luck,
John

ChemEAngler
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. From looking at the previous days data, I am assuming that TVA is planning on running 1 or more generators throughout the day. Now my next question: is it possible to wade fish either the south holston or watauga with one generator running?

Travis

MalcolmRobertson
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
You don't want to be on the S Holston with the water running full tilt. You can wade the one hour pulses in many places, BUT it's a good idea to be near the bank and have an exit strategy when the water comes up so you can verify it actually is just a pulse. TVA has a habit of changing its mind.

Marmot
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Im like mstone.. The only campground that I know of in the area is Riverridge on the Watauga.. If you google Riverridge campground it should bring up the website.. It is a fairly nice campgroud with decent fishing nearby.. I wish one would open up closer to the SoHo.. Although RR isnt too far away it would be nice to be closer..

Marmot

stuart
07-13-2007, 11:47 PM
You can stay and Observation Knob on the holston lake and be at the Holston dam in aobut 10 to 15 mins. It is alot closer than Rivers Ridge. I don't know the route directions but if you are at the parking lot for the SOHO at the wiers below the dam go back out the road to Highway 421 and make a right. You will go maybe 3 ro4 miles and the road will fork you need to go left off 421. That road will lead you right to it. I may be about 5 miles probably less and will be on your right you can see a sign on the main road. It used to be a yearly canmping area too. My family had a camper there for about 15 years and at the end of last year they ran everyone off and made it a 14 day at a time thing. Thats all right though they are loosing their butts on that little bright idea! But oh well nice plce, and really close to both rivers. If you need short cut directions to the wataqua PM me and I will try to help.

STU