PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help...please

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey guys
I live in knoxville and frequent the Smoky Mountains. I am pretty comfortable with getting around them, but i have a problem. I know of some spots that a friend told me about when i first picked up flyfishing...the spots are all on the west prong of the little river. The spots are consistently productive so i have rarely ventured out of them. I am ready to do so now though. Most of the fish where i fish are usually smaller (which is okay with me), but i hear a lot of talk on this message board and from friends about elkmont and the little river and tremont, but i would not have the slightest clue as to where to begin... any help that you guys give would be great thanks!
-Ahudd

russ
07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Do you know where Sugarlands visitor center is?

How about the "y" around Townsend?

Can you find Cades Cove?

sammcdonald
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
stop at the park visitor center in townsend...buy a $1 trail map, get the free park map for fishing streams and regulations, now you are set! the world is at your command! (at least the park is).

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey yes i do know where all of those places are... and are familiar with them. Where at the y would you fish...just anywhere where tubers arent?

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I have a trail map, but i didnt know about the fishing map... is that one different from the regular trail map?

jeffnles1
07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
On the road to Cades cove past the Y about 200 or so yards is a sign that says Tremont Center (or something like that). Go up that road and the river runs right alongside of it. I don't think it's secret fishing hole as there were a lot of fishermen on the river last time I was there.

Like you, I'm looking for some new water, but up by Tremont and Elkmont are the only two places I've fished in the park.

Jeff

tennswede
07-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Due to this being a store forum I will not endorse any book or product in name on here but if you go to LRO and ask they will be able to point you to any of the most common books on the area and the fly fishing here. With that said I can tell you that most streams, in the park are pretty equal in quality when you compare them side by side and when they are of equal size and at similar altitude. I.e. the larger lower elevation streams hold some bigger browns and smallies and the higher altitude streams will hold more smaller fish and will be dominated by bow's and brookies if you go high enough. Small stream usually equals smaller fish but not always.

The most fertile streams hold somewhat larger fish. The only stream where there are somewhat better food supply in the park is Abrams Creek and possibly Cattalooche in N.C. Little River is somewhat better in food supply than let's say West Prong of Little P or Middle Prong of Little P which are typical mountain streams where you can see the bottom of the river almost all the time. this is because food stuff and algae growth is almost non existing.

Hope this helps

ijsouth
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I would second what everyone has said so far...and add to it the spirit of adventure; go ahead and explore and experiment. Drive over the mountains to the other side of the park. Hike a couple miles on a trail to get to a spot off the beaten path. So far, in the past year, I have fished five different areas, and I plan on adding to that amount in a few days when we head up there. It's fun to explore, to keep seeing what's "just around the bend". It reminds me of when I was a kid.

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Where is the Middle prong of the little pigeon? Are the places by Elkmont and tremont easy to get to...? Thanks for all of the help...

nvr2L8
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Ahudd,

I just got back from a little evening fishing at Tremont. If you follow the directions from an earlier message, going right at the Y and then left a couple of hundred yards up the road to Cades Cove, the river follows the road for several miles up stream. There are plenty of pull-offs where you can access the stream or you can go to the parking lot at the very top of the gravel road and hike up as far as your heart desires on an old logging that follows the stream for several more miles.

Go to Elkmont by turning left at the Y towards Gatlinburg and just follow the signs. Again, the road follows the river all the way up to the Elkmont campground and then there is an old road that you can walk up as far as you want along the river fishing all the way. Either Tremont or Elkmont can be a whole day's adventure in itself and there is enough variety in the river that you can go back over and over and never get bored with it.

Happy fishing!

nvr2L8
07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
To answer your question specifically about the Middle Prong, that is the river that runs up through Tremont and beyond.

ahuddleston
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow this is getting me so excited... i am so used to the pool fishing of the West Prong of the lil pigeon and this new water sounds awesome, i know everyone fishes it, and that is why i have stayed away from it, but i would love to try it out. Does it fish similar to pool fishing or is it wider and would require waders? I am assuming one would still fish the faster water with the same flies as they might use around the rest of the park?
-Ahudd

tennswede
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
It is very confusing for newcomers so here goes.

The river people refer to for the most part when they say west prong is West Prong of Little River. So far so good, but then there's West Prong of Little Pigeon River, which is sometimes called just west prong and it is located in the Sugarlands area. Then we have Middle Prong of Little River which is the river most people talk about when they say middle prong. This river is sometimes referred to as Tremont. There is also another middle prong, which is Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River which is in the Greenbriar area on the other side of Gatlinburg. This river is mostly called Greenbriar but ocasionally referred to as middle prong. The main river of Littler River is mostly called just Little River and sometimes called Elkmont.

I think this needs to be said since a lot of people have a name confusion on this. I'll get off of my soap box now HE HE.

Tater
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
The "y" is an excellent spot when it is cooler and the tubers are gone and the water is cold and the trout move down stream to warmer water on little river. Also a good spot is little river up around elkmont campground early mounring and late evening when the swimmers and tubers aren't there. You can never go wrong with middle prong at the tremont vistors center and beyond on the gravel road is excellent usually under any circumstance, even the extremly low water there is now. Also the little river trail at elkmont camp ground is good place for a hike and fish. GREEN WEENIES good luck

ijsouth
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Also, there's the two streams that form the Middle Prong - Lynn Camp and Thunderhead. I'm going to try to make it a point to fish Lynn Camp before it's closed next year.

ahuddleston
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all of the useful information... I cant wait to get to try these new spots out. Thanks for clearing up all of the river names it is so confusing to me always...
-Ahudd