PDA

View Full Version : Water at the Y and Elkmont, Tremont

ahuddleston
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone... I am new to fishing in the park and have done most of my fishing around the sugarlands area. My question is what kind of water the Y, Elkmont, and Tremont are. Near the sugarlands it is like pools and you work your way upstream all day-from pool to pool. Are these three different places similar or not? Are they wider (I know the Y is beacuse i drive pased it, but other than that i do not know)? Do they require waders?
Thanks for all of the help...
-Ahudd

tennswede
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, when you speak of Sugarlands area the river is West Prong of Little Pigeon. They Y is located about 15 miles from sugarlands on the Little River outside of Townsend.

West Prong of Little P is plunge pools and very steep going uphill towards the chimneys. Waders are not required in between late April until Nov.

The middle prong of Little River (Tremont) is a little bigger than West Prong of Little P but it's similar. The runs are longer though and not so gradient. The river gets more narrow the further up you go.

The Little River (Elkmont) is long and slow pools below the sinks but becomes more of a mountain streams the further up you go. When you pass Elkmont it becomes a true mountain stream with smaller pools and steeper runs as you go.

The Y area in Townsend is the confluence of all three prongs of Little River. Note this is not Sugarlands area where West Prong of Little P is. We are now 15 miles from sugarlands. Here you have very long and shallow runs and pools and the water is usually too warm for trout in the summer months.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I should add that I don't use waders in the park at all between April-Nov