PDA

View Full Version : suggested flies

TomW
07-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Well,.... my Yellowstone trip got cancelled. Low water high temperatures. So we have rearranged our schedule to spend a week in August in the Smokies. My question is in Byron's suggested flies section of the fishing report, are the flies listed in the order of importance or just a random list. And second question, when is the list due to be updated or will these fly recommendation last the rest of the summer??

Thanks
Tom

scflyfisher
07-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Tom,

I don't believe there is any particular order to the suggested fly list. I would also say that the majority of those flies, if not all would still work in August. Most important to me would be:

1. Green weenie
2. Prince & Pheasant Tail nymphs
3. Ants and Beetles
4. Parachute Adams

This is also the priority in which I would fish them, but that is because I don't mind fishing nymphs. If you prefer dries, I'm sure #'s 3 & 4 above plus the rest of Byron's suggested flies would produce good results in August.

Of course this is assuming there is water in the river to fish in August.

Matt

ttas67
07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
yeah, I hate to break it to you, but the conditions may be just as bad here.

David Knapp
07-14-2007, 02:34 PM
yeah, I hate to break it to you, but the conditions may be just as bad here.

or worse.....:frown:

scflyfisher
07-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I forgot to put my favorite nymph on the list.

TELLICO'S.

If I'm fishing sub-surface with anything other than a green weenie, my next choice is a tellico nymph size 14. This is just a confidence thing for me. I have good reults with the prince and pheasant tails, but I have the most confidence in the tellico.

Matt

Kytroutbum
07-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Not sure what your plans are or were?.I'd check around there is usually a lot of water still fishable. I've had some GREAT TIMES on the NOT SO BIG NAME streams up there. When it comes to fishing in the west, I'm antisocial!

North Fork Anglers in Cody are reporting plenty of water on the East side of the park. I'm heading that way in a month and have been monitoring it on their site. The NPS website for Yellowstone has listed a noon to 6:00 voluntary closure on some of the Northern and Western streams- Firehole, Madison, Lamarr, Slough for certain sections. The NPS site has a map. Its been my experience that they close ABOUT THIS TIME YEARLY due to heating- gets up to 70. The No. and So. Fork of Shoshone are great streams. Two years ago, we were fishing the S. Fork of Shoshone in discolored, snow melt water (had a hard time wading due to amount of water)while they were closing the Madison, Firehole, etc due to heating. It was our first trip there and we had a guide from North Fork Anglers to show us the open sections of the stream. He didn't really want to take us to the S. Fork due to the conditions,he said it was still early, but we caught a number of large browns. But I highly recommend S.fork of Shoshone.

I'll fish the Shoshone Forest-Beartooth Plateau about 3 1/3 weeks with only a few trips into the park usually along Lamarr Valley while wolf watching. I don't like crowds in the park. The Beartooth High Mountain lakes are full of fish. I caught a Brookie a Cutt and a Rainbow(all over 14 inches) on one lake at dusk with three consective casts. A warning, SOME lakes are full of stunted brookies. Wyoming allows you to keep 20 or 30 (need to check)brookies under 8 inches. They are counted as a TRASH FISH up there.
A walk in of a couple of miles will bring you to pristine lakes and cruising trout rising to beetles.

Again not sure what you plans are, but I think you can see where my mind is at(:>). You may want to check around before totally cancelling your trip.

Randy Sale
Kytroutbum