PDA

View Full Version : Where can I fly fish for Brim and Bass within 20 minutes of Maryville TN?

LROjunky
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I am looking to give the mountain Trout and myself some 'stress relief' and was thinking some Brim and Bass would be a nice change if I could find a place about 20 minutes from Maryville TN. Any suggestions on: where, when, with what flies and gear and is it wadable etc.

Troutman
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
The greenbelt pond in downtown Maryville has bluegill and maybe some largemouth. The LR holds bass and gills pretty much from Townsend all the way to the lake. Plenty of pulloffs to access the river along 321 that are easily wadable.
Poppers are working good, tossed to shady areas. I've been using a 4wt. lately.

kjctown
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Troutman,

How do you usually fish your poppers?

ttas67
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
alcoa pond

LROjunky
07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Where is Alcoa pond? Where can I park and where should I fish?

ttas67
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't know exactly, I just used to ride my bike by it on the greenway. I believe it is at one of the schools (elementary school maybe?) I've never fished it, but seen others doing so. it's somewhere over by the community pool.... call LRO and ask daniel drake, he knows.

gverholek
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Take thyself to the nearest rocky shoreline on Ft Loudoun and cast your fate to the rocks. Cast about anything - from a soft hackle to a small popper - as close to the rocks as you can. Retrieve slowly. You'll feel like a rookie for all those you'll miss, but enough 'Gills will keep you from getting the FlyRod Blues.

buzzmcmanus
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
It is just south of Springbrook Park. There is also another pond in Alcoa just south of the Springbrook Corporate Center (Atlanta Bread Company area). I have never seen anyone fishing in it. There is not much access to it from the bank, but if someone had a tube or kayak, they might have a little honey hole right in town. I run the Greenway around this pond almost nightly and have never seen anyone except kayakers practicing in it.

ttas67
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
is the corporate center where jameson inn is and all that?

buzzmcmanus
07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I figured this question would come up, so while running last night I actually paid attention. The pond is directly behind the Jameson Inn. If you drive past the Jameson Inn, there is a parking lot that you can park at next to a cemetary. I ran last night just after the storm came through, and there was alot of fish feeding under the bushes that overhang the banks. I notice one exceptionally big swirl. Is swirl a word???

D-Drake
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
If you go fishing over by the Springbrook Corporate Center you can fish off the little boat dock there behind the Jameson Inn near the cemetary but that is about it for bank fishing. That pond would be best fished from a pontoon, canoe or kayak. If you can get out on the water there is tons of places to fish that likely don't get much attention.

(last time I was over there I landed a nice size carp on a Rainy's Ant pattern)

Daniel

buzzmcmanus
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
While running last night, I saw a guy with a flyrod leaning against the bridge to the island. I stopped to talk and find out if he'd done any good. He didn't give away any secrets. Wondering if anyone else has tried the corporate center pond?