PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Camping at Elkmont

Flyfishjeep
07-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I am heading to elkmont this weekend with my wife, 21 month old son and a friend with her daughter that is the same age as my son. I havn't fished by elkmont and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on whether to fish farther up past the campground or fish more towards townsend. If there is a lot of people on the rivers in one direction I would prefer to go the other way. I am not able to log much time on the water with a young child and another on the way in Sept. Just getting into the rivers is great enough, catching a fish is a bonus.
I hope to post some pictures after if there is any success.
Hopefully the rains will come this week and get the fish a little more active.
Thanks for any help

Rog 1
07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Try fishing between the bridges in the campground itself early and late and by late I mean the last 30-45 minutes before dark....can usually catch a couple of fish in there.....fishing will only get better the further you walk up the LR trail.....good luck.

russ
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I second Rog's recommendation. Hike for a while up the trail above the campground and start fishing. i like to go to the third bridge and start but that is 3 miles in. Go to the 2nd bridge and start if you want. That is about a 30 - 45 minute hike. Any lower and you're going to have some company.

fishNlady
07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
We fished from just upstream of the first bridge to just below it this weekend. Caught a couple little rainbows and my husband caught a 5 inch brown too. I had a decent sized brown on at one point, but being the newbie at this that I am I did not get a good enough hookset and he got off before I could get my hands on him. He was 12" or better. We were using the yellow parachute adams.

Jswitow
07-17-2007, 05:10 PM
There are fish above and below Elkmont. You could fish above one morning and below one evening. The bridge just past the (entrance) gate usually has a bunch of fish in it, better hit them early for a shot. A small adams or yellow stone on 5 or maybe 6x ought to work. Really though there are fish alle through there. I used to like to walk to Little River Road and fish back up. If you see a foam mat plunging into a big hole(10' deep or so) try throwing something like a big beadhead right in the middle of the foam you might be surprised at what hangs out below them!
Have a good time. Hope its not too hot for the little ones.
Best,
John