PDA

View Full Version : newbie from Michigan

lindy
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey all,

I'm coming down to the area next week on a family vacation and am looking forward to getting out for a couple of mornings or evenings of fishing. We are pretty familiar with the area but this will be the first time fishing. We are looking at Tremont or the the cades cove area just because of convenience. Anybody have any thoughts about this plan? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A stop at LRO is also on the schedule to get supplies.

Thanks,

Lindy

nvr2L8
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Lindy,
Welcome to the board - always good to have those from out of state looking in. Tremont is a great place to get a taste of Smokies fishing. There is a wide variety of pools and runs. I would go above the Tremont school onto the gravel road. If you have time, go to the end of the road to the parking area, walk across the bridge and go up the river to the left. Above the cascades (can't miss it) is some great fishing. If you are limited on time, between the school and the parking area along the gravel road, there is plenty of good fishing. Keep an eye on the LRO fishing report for conditions and recommendations on flies. My favorite tends to be the Parachute Adams (#16). Whether they are biting or not, it's a great experience. I'm new to fly fishing and have been having a blast visiting almost every week.

Again, welcome to TN and the Smokies and good fishing!

Kytroutbum
07-19-2007, 01:47 AM
What part of Michigan are you located in? Grew up in Hamilton- Holland area went to school at Grand Valley. Carry some fine tippet- 6X-7X Frog Hair, I'd fish the upper sections of any river in the park. Fish will be small but they are WILD- not stockers. I'd throw small foam beetles,a green weenie- inch worm pattern or an ant. There is not much water- just coming off (we hope) severe drought. The previous poster had some good ideas but I love Little River just above Elkmont Campground would be my pick, It should have some water in it, no need to hike up more than 15-20 minutes.

A word to the wise- Be sure you have FELTS on your wading shoes. The rocks in the park are very slippery. Also if you go to Abrams Creek, be extremely careful, the rock is slippery with a thin film of silt and algae. Most of us have taken swims in there.
Good luck
Randy Sale
Kytroutbum

lindy
07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Small world KYtroutbum. I am from Hamilton and went to high school in Holland. I also went a couple of semesters at Grand Valley. Although I have heard good things about elkmont I'm not sure if I will have time to go over there. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to get over there.

Thanks,

Lindy

Kytroutbum
07-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Graduated from Hamilton in '67. If you turned off M-40 at the post office toward Haven Church, my Dad's driveway was straight ahead. Haven Church bought the land and tore down the house a couple years ago.My dad was Les Sale,my brother Bryan Sale still lives in Hamilton. My brother and I fished the Big Horn with Evan Van Order two summers ago, he lives or lived in Hardin, Mont. Shoot me an email Rsale@netburner.net

I came down to the Smokies on an Ecology field trip from Grand Valley and fell in love with it. Ended up in Central Ky due to wife's family. Try to fish the park a couple of days a month during the spring and fall.
Depending on the water conditions- The area just above Elkmont still could be a good bet. You have water depth and still some coolness.
Tight lines
Randy Sale
Kytroutbum

Paula Begley
08-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Lindy

Welcome to the board!

Paula