PDA

View Full Version : The hike to LeConte....

teefly
07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone know if any part of that 8 mile hike runs along fishable water? I might want to take a pack-rod along if there is access. If so, which stream would that be?

teefly

tennswede
07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Alum Cave Creek, if you hike from the Alum Cave side. Le Conte Creek if you come from the other side of the hill.

teefly
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I think we'll be going up the Boulevard Trail, and coming back down the Alum Cave Trail. Can I expect some brookie fishing since we'll be up that high?

teefly

golfballs03
07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I haven't fished it recently so I don't know how it's doing, but I did last year and had a great time. I caught a decent amount of fish including a couple brookies so I know they're up there.

flyman
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
The way you are going you will pass by less than a mile of fishable water. I wouldn't carry any fishning stuff unless I could slip in one of my friends packs without them seeeing it:biggrin: .

sammcdonald
07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
since the fishable water is all below arch rock, you might leave the stuff in the shuttle car and finish the hike, then fish back up stream. beats carrying anything over 12 miles before it can be used.

teefly
07-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I did not know there was a shuttle car. So you are saying to let them take our gear up to the top for us, then use it once we've arrived?

Gatorbaiter
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
there is no shuttle car to LeConte Lodge -- only a llama pack train - I beleive he was speaking of leaving a car at the Alum Cave trailhead and then walking back up the trail a mile to Arch Rock and begin fishing

teefly
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
OK, that makes more sense. I was wondering why the LeConte website didn't mention anything about a shuttle car. You can see I need a vacation for sure...

Thanks to all for the advice and info.

teefly