PDA

View Full Version : Question about fishing with spinning rod???

easttnsalmon
07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Hey folks. I know that there are purists who think that to get a trout, you need to catch it with a hand made fly. I agree with this whole heartedly. I think that it is magical to catch a fish this way. But what about the person who wants to use a regular spinning rod and reel? I have seen them at the clinch. Is this style of fishing popular in the smokies? What are the rules? And where is a good place to go? I have a fly rod and reel (bought from LRO) One of these days I going to learn how to use it!

tennswede
07-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi there!

I'm going to attempt to answer you. I know the rules inside the GSMP is single hook only no bait. You can buy spinners with single hook and they are available at LRO or you can cut them off. As for where, that's a little more problematic. I feel that the higher elevation streams with the small plunge pools are hard to fish with spinners due the fact that you need to get them down deep and in order for the blade to spin. I probabley would fish in the fall and the spring on the lower elevation streams in the deeper holes. I saw one old timer fishin up at Cambell overlock and he was using a single hook jig kind of like a grub. He tossed it up and across and jerked it back with a twisting motion. He had some success that way. When you have fished a while with this you will eventually get in to fly fishing and I promise you there won't be any more thinking about any other method. I don't say this in an elitist way but it is inevitable. You hang out around nice mountain streams and sooner or later you will be there with the long rod in hand. Good Luck.

nvr2L8
07-23-2007, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine recently caught 10 rainbows in the Sugarlands area on a small Meps spinner within a fairly short period of time after pretty much striking out with his fly rig. Having said that, however, I fished the Smokies for more than 30 years with an ultra-lite spinning rig with varied success before taking up fly fishing this Spring. My spinning rig is now gathering dust in the corner without much hope of coming out any time soon. Once you start having success with fly fishing, it's tough to go back.

Each to his own, but it's definitely the fly for me. :biggrin:

Gerry Romer
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
One of my clients regularly fishes a few honey holes in the Little River through Townsend exclusively with a spinning rod and a Mepps spinner. He has good results, and god bless him! He, however, won't take his spinning rig up Tremont. Too narrow and confining, and the fish are too small for his rig. I agree with Hans... once you've taken a long rod into these beautiful mountain streams, you'll never go back to a spinning rig - for the mountains at least.

Gerry Romer