PDA

View Full Version : Claw on the River

Giantfish
07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't know if my dad noticed this, but when we were fishing last weekend, I noticed a blue claw on a rock, it was the size of toy car. I know there are crawdads in the Smokyes, but a blue crab looking claw?? Anyone know what it could have been............I could be a giant crawdad that was mutated and turned blue.....but thats impossible. I know it's not a crab, I don't think. It made me wonder.

Thanks
Giantfish

jeffnles1
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Picnicers sitting on the rock eating crab?

I did see some pretty big crawdads in the LR this summer. I don't know about blue crab big, but I saw some that caused me to stop and watch them.

Jeff

sammcdonald
07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
oak ridge crab

ijsouth
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I've seen the same claws this summer, and my kids caught some decent sized crawfish when they got bored of fishing...some of them were almost big enough to boil. ;) Not quite Atchafalaya Spillway size, though.

flyman
07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Crayfish molt several times a year as they outgrow their exoskeleton. When they do, they turn all kinds of crazy colors. They also get quite a bit larger than you might think. Usually what you are seeing when you see the claws and bits of shell are the left overs from some critters snack. Otters, Raccoons, Mink, and even birds like fish crows and kingfishes eat them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Crayfish-Astacus_astacusP1002890.JPG

Vern
07-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Gaintfish said that he saw it on the Little river. I think we may have a new Mutant killer Crawfish that is feeding on Tubers:p

ijsouth
07-26-2007, 12:47 AM
There are literally thousands of different varieties of crawfish; those blue claws look just like a blue crab's...in fact, one of my girls thought it was a crab - of course, we have a lot of them down here, too...I had to tell her the nearest blue crab was 400 miles away, so it was a crawfish species with a blue claw. The wild ones we eat down here in crawfish season (late winter to early summer) are big brutes from places like Belle River, etc in South Louisiana, and they're pretty much a brownish-red, even before they're boiled. They raise them too - in idle rice paddies that are being rested; in fact, that's probably where most of them come from nowdays.