PDA

View Full Version : Whistle Pig!

Jswitow
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Byron,
If you catch the ground hogs young, they make great pets! Look at Punxetawny Phil! I probably spelled his name wrong.
Best and Thanks!
John

sammcdonald
07-26-2007, 03:29 PM
wiley oakley once had a whistle pig farm...he raised them as pets (and dinner, i supect).

Byron Begley
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I thought about running upstairs and getting my camera. You should have seen Dubbing and that groundhog bristled up at each other. Instead I grabbed Dubbing. I knew he was going to get his rear end kicked. I saw one of our dogs on the farm when I was a kid get into a fight with a groundhog. The dog, (a German Shepherd) finally won but I would have bet on the groundhog for a while. I also saw that dog kill a skunk. That was one tough dog!

Byron

Vern
07-26-2007, 04:19 PM
When I was a kid we had a weenier dog that would go in the holes after them. My grand father loved my dog because she was a great snake killer and kept the ground hog population mangeable. My cousin had a ground hog for a pet and it followed him around like a puppy.

Paula Begley
07-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Actually, Dubbing was pretty cool about it until I saw them out of the window and started screaming that something huge was on the porch with Dubbing. My freak out brought Byron running from his upstairs office! :biggrin:

Dubbing puffed his tail up pretty big when mom panicked. :rolleyes:

I have never seen a ground hog up close and had no idea what the heck it was...all I knew is I didn't want it eatin my kitty.

Paula

flyman
07-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I have know several people that kept them as pets, and I have seen alot of them wind up in the cooking pot to. They even have a song about them.

Off to the woods for to catch a groundhog.
Oh, groundhog.
Run here Sally with a ten foot pole, (repeat)
To twist that whistle-pig out of his hole.
Oh, groundhog.
Here comes Sal with a snicker and a grin, (repeat)
Groundhog gravy all over her chin.
Oh, groundhog.
Look at them fellers, they're a-goin' wild, (repeat)
Eat that hog before he's cooked or biled.
Oh, groundhog.
I dug down but I didn't dig deep, (repeat)
There laid a whistle-pig fast asleep.
Oh, groundhog.
Now the meat's in the cupboard and the butter's in the churn, (repeat)
If that ain't groundhog I'll be derned.
Oh, groundhog.
Well you eat the meat and save the hide, (repeat)
Make the best shoestring ever was tied.
Oh, groundhog.
Look at them fellers, they're about to fall, (repeat)
Eat till their britches won't button at all.
Oh, groundhog.
Little piece of cornbread a-layin' on the shelf, (repeat)
If you want any more, you can sing it yerself.
Oh, groundhog.

(http://www.stlyrics.com/add.html)