PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Georgia

Fly Ties GA
07-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello All.....

I am a transplant from Northern Illinois to Georgia as of two weeks ago and needed to reach out to a "local" board. I am no stranger to the beauty of the Smoky Mountains and the peaceful Townsend, TN. as my wife and I have visited often. My fly fishing has been primarily in the driftless area of South West Wisconsin and I am looking forward to doing more fishing in the Smokey's and North Georgia.

Bob :biggrin:

nvr2L8
07-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Welcome, Bob,

I am a fairly new entry into the board myself and know from my experience that you are in for a treat. This is a tremendous place to meet other fly fishing addicts and get great information/tips about fly fishing in the Smokies and beyond - from fishing for tarpon in Florida to hitting the wild streams of Montana. Hope you enjoy this fellowship of fisherpersons as much as I have.

Once again, welcome.

Stonefly
07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Hope you won't mind a few questions about the SW Wisc area. I have to go to Chicago from time to time and have planned (but failed) to add a weekend and fish that area.

sb

Kevin_Thomas
07-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Where at in GA?

Chuckwalla
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Ftg

First welcome to the board! Where you live in GA?

My sister just moved to Wisconsin, the Eau Claire area.

Fly Ties GA
07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
for the warm welcome. I live south of Atlanta near Newnan, GA.

SB....I would be happy to share my Southwest Wisconsin information. Give me a shout when you have questions.

Tight lines everyone.

Bob

Paula Begley
08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome aboard, Fly Ties GA!

Paula

nc hillbilly
09-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Hello to Fly Tie GA,

My wife and I travel the country in our RV fishing as we go. We have a son and young granddaughter in Plymouth, MN where we are currently staying. We plan to return here next spring. We plan to fish the Whitewater State Park area but the recent floods have devastated the region; I'm not sure about the driftless area where you fished but I suspect it will need some time to recover, also.

Will you share your info about the area with me?

Leon
nc hillbilly
cclark1051@earthlink.net

Fly Ties GA
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Leon,

Traveling in an RV sounds great!

I heard from a friend that that region was hit hard. In fact, a little town we camped and fished in was completely closed down due to flooding. (Avalanche, WI.)

There are not many camp sites in the Southwest region but I do know of one that takes RV's or tents just outside of Richland Center, WI. called Alana Springs.

www.alanaspringscampground.com/ (http://www.alanaspringscampground.com/)

It is a ways from the good fishing but like I said, not much camping in the region. Lots of Amish and Norweigin folks.

Go to the Wisconsin DNR web page and get their Trout Waters Maps. They show great detail and all of the regulations. Below is a list of great creeks to fish that have many other creeks around them so if one don't work, try another. The spring is the best time of year to fish the region as the weeds are not tall and the fish are very active. These creeks are so very small but hold HUGE fish. It is diffferent to fish in this area as you are in cow and horse pastures most of the time but they keep you company. The water is super clear and the fish can see you coming a mile away so you have to be stealthy and stay out of the water as much as possible.

These are all in Vernon County.

Timer Coulee and Spring Coulee are jsut outside the town of Coon Valley off of Coutny road "P" near highway 14. The west fork of the Kickapoo is a great little river outside Avalanche and runs along County road "S".

I hope this helps and I hope you get a chance to fish the area.

Tight lines......

Bob

nc hillbilly
09-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I really do appreciate your information about the trout streams. I will give you a report next spring after I sample these areas.

nc hillbilly