PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee

tennswede
07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, did another Hiwassee trip this morning to take advantage of the colder water this year. I went with a former co worker of mine who I had not fished with in five years. After a little bit of breakfast from Hardee's in Madisonville, we entered the Hiwassee corridor at about 6:30 AM. We were first at the parking lot at Big Bend this morning but were soon joined by several others. We hiked in to the stairsteps and it was muggy and the fog was thick. I set up with a BH Prince size 12 with an emerger tied in on the hook bend. (Partridge and yellow). I managed to catch and release 11 Rainbows and 1 Brown today. I lost at least the same amount. My buddy caught a dozen or so. No big fish today, all were stockers in sizes from 8" up to 11". I was still seeing Yellow Stones and some Sulphurs coming off. I guess the cold water is delaying things. Today the water temp had creeped up some compared to two weeks ago. It stood at 63 degrees at noon. We fished until about noon and decided to get out before the 2 generators would hit. It was a nice and pleasant day but muggy. It was fun to fish with an old buddy after five years.

bcunnin1
07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a good time I am headed down there next weekend to fish with my Dad. What would you recommend I pick up to bring down there in the way of flies.

tennswede
07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Ben!

I don't know if you are new to the HI but if you are I can inform you that this year have been good until now. The colder water is unusual this time of year for the HI. Normally by early July it is sluggish due to warm water. Down at Big Bend and the stairsteps where I fished today, it is pushing 68 degrees by this time of year. Not this year though. It was 63 today. If we get a hot and scorching week it might begin to get sluggish down that way. I would fish as far up towards the powerhouse as possible if we get a week of hot weather. The water temp is the main thing on this river. As for flies. Well, the HI is not as critical in fly selection as some other tailwaters. I use mainly a BH in fairly large size and then I tie on a soft hackle to the bend. This way I get the first fish in the morning down deep and then I get the risers later in the morning on the emerger. Right now a yellow emerger and a prince for the lead fly works. I don't think much will change until next weekend. They seem to like a nymph the first hour or so after first daylight and then they switch to an emerger. I fish them half the time down and across on the swing the old wet fly fishing method, and half the time upstream on a dead drift. They take equally well on both methods on the HI. This tips will only work if th water temp stays cool. I can't emphasize enough that you take the water temp before you begin fishing for a more successful day. If you encounter warm water seek cooler water. Hope this helps.

Fishermansfly
07-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I have a spare dig camera I've been looking to give a new home to! I believe I've found it.....I'm always reading your post and prior to clicking on the link I say to self (self) I hope he's posted pictures this time! With full knowledge before hand that there won't be any to follow! I kid! I know you have a camera and it's pure jelousy that leads me to that comment....You like so many others get out fishing a little more than I!!!!

Good post, I need to make it back there! Oh, those steps are awesome! Catch one for me!
Fishermansfly

tennswede
07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
yeah! I know I don't use the camera as much as I probably should. I have it in my possession nowadays if I happen to catch something unusually big or interesting. I guess being out as much as I am I'm just getting too used to the scenery. Sorry.

bcunnin1
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the advice Hans, I will let you know how we do. Also is BH a brown hackle( I am new to this) and what do you recommend for an emerger? I have Prince Nymphs but not sure if I have an emerger or not.

crpntr191
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I fished the HI last weekend with good success. A size 10 Isonychia emerger works well, especially in the faster water.

tennswede
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Ben, usually BH stands for Bead Head the same as Gold Head in the U.K. I've never seen brown hackle abbreviated that way but never say never. Most of the time BH stands for Bead Head here in the states. The emerger I was using was a Partridge & Yellow, LRO sells them. Basically an emerger is a fly imitating the emerging insect on it's way up to the top. You would like to keep the emerger between an inch to six inches down. If you use a heavy larger BH nymph and tie the wet fly/emerger or soft hackle to the hook bend of the larger BH fly this lighter fly will ride upwards of the bigger fly in the current. I fish this mostly down and across the old school style. It works upstream dead drifted but not as successfully as down stream in my opinion.

bcunnin1
07-31-2007, 08:41 AM
How much line should I use to tie it off the back? And for the Nymph could I use a Prince or a Copper John something like that? Also what do you recommend as my emerger?

tennswede
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I usually tie the trailing fly on the hook bend with one size thinner tippet than my main leader. I use about 20" of tippet. It seems like a yellow emerger like a Partridge & Yellow soft hackle works fine right now. Yes, you can use a copper john. I would use a fairly large one, size 12 or so and use a brownish bodied fly. BH Prince is my favorite for this type of fishing.

bcunnin1
07-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Alright I will give it a shot, and let you know the results after this weekend, thanks for all the help, Ben.

bcunnin1
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Everyone keeps telling me to dangle a emerger behind my dry fly what kind of knot should I use to do that. To hang it from the bend of the hook?

tennswede
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I use whatever you use for your regular fly. You could use improved clinch, pitzen and several others. No need to make it fancy.