PDA

View Full Version : How do I separate a siezed ferrule joint?

LROjunky
07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
My 2 pc. 6 wt. has siezed together at the 2 pc. ferrule joint. Any suggestions on how to get it apart would be appreciated. I did the obvious - - bought a new rod from LRO, and tried to separate the old one with heat, ice and penetrating oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LROjunky
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Paul/Byron - maybe this would best be put on the "Smoky" thread?

jeffnles1
07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Jim,
you got your rod stuck together and then you got a new rod? does that work with the spouse/significant other?

I may have to try that sometime! "honey, my fly rod is stuck together. I'll have to buy a new Winston WT to take its place".

I've learned a lot about fishing in the GSMNP by reading this message board this summer, but I believe you have provided the most beneficial piece of advice I've read yet!

Seriously, I assume you've tried the behind the knees thing right? Is it a matter of not getting a good grip (hands slipping) or is it just that stuck?

Sometimes, I find latex surgical gloves are a good ticket when I need to get a grip on slick things like fishing rods etc.

Jeff

drag line
07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Take the rod and put it in the freezer for at least 30 minuets and see if that will work.

LROjunky
07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I have not tried the latex glove thing yet, but I will. The thing with the wife worked well enough to keep the yelling to minimum.

Randy Ratliff
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Marmot
07-31-2007, 01:35 AM
I second the use of ice to get them apart... Have used the same method as Randy but I just packed the ice on the male side of the joint.. 20 min and pulled apart pretty easy..

Marmot

LROjunky
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
It is still stuck! Any great suggestions we have yet to try?

pmike
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
try gently heating the rod at the ferrule with a blow dryer or heat gun on low, then place the rod between your knees with the rod caught in the fold under each knee, on knee on each side of the ferrule. The with hands on rod outside of each knee, spread your knees apart to attempt to seperate the two sections.

Mike

PS: I would not suggest using any petroleum based solvents or oil as they might weld or bond the two sections.