PDA

View Full Version : Bear concentration

TomW
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know if the Cataloochee area has a significantly higher concentration of bears? I am sure there are arguments why there might be both higher and lower concentrations, but should I be more cautious than say Tremont or Elkmont?

Thanks
Tom

fishNlady
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
We spent the weekend at Cataloochee and I didn't see any bears. We saw plenty of Elk, Turkeys and a couple of Whitetails but no bears. When we came home we drove the gravel back road over the mountains to Cosby, stopping at Big Creek on the way. No bears there either. We did quite a bit of hiking too. Of course I'm sure there were bears around but we just didn't see any on the trails we were on.

sammcdonald
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
there will be bears in the pretty hollow area...always are. bears appreciate beauty, too.

Rog 1
07-31-2007, 08:49 PM
The only time I have camped in Cataloochee the campground was raided that night by at least one bear....only people not bothered was the three campsites full of people from Florida....all the locals lost something to the bear.

ChemEAngler
08-01-2007, 07:31 PM
When I was last in Cataloochee I saw some tracks while fishing way up on Palmer Creek, I believe it was in the Pretty Hollow trail area. However, I talked with a ranger there who told me that they have been moving the bears out of the area since they are killing the elk calves in the area. I have heard that if the elk population does not reach 90 in the next 2 years that this project is terminated. So the NPS is doing whatever it can to help the population reach the goal.

Travis