PDA

View Full Version : Morning on Cosby

Fly_Man_Bill
08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
This morning I fished the Cosby Park. I started on the lower part of the creek. I got in at the bridge to start may day. I caught 14 fish total.
I caught 3 stock trout that had made their way up the creek to the safe haven of the park. All 3 of these fish were over 12 inches. Not Bad for small creek like Cosby. One of the fish was missing his front lower fins. The biggest of the 3 was caught on a black bird twist on a #6 hook. The other two were caught on a #8 yellow body fly that I tie.
10 of the fish were in the 5 to 6 inch range. One of these fish was hooked on the yellow fly. The other 9 were brought to hand by a #10 male Adam. The Last fish I caught was behind the house. It was 10.5 inches, it also was caught on the Male Adam. All of the fish were Rainbows. No Brookies to be hooked.
The water was up some with a little color. I had to quit fishing due to the fact I had to get home and get ready for work... I spoke to the Ranger he stated that the creek had very little pressure the past 2 months. He also said that Big Creek and Greenbriar had been getting a lot of fishing activity the last 3 weeks or so. All I can say is the Good Lord Blessed me this morning. It was one of the better days I've had on Cosby Creek in along time.

Keep on casting flies and good luck fishing.....

fishNlady
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
That sounds like a very good morning indeed. I've been noticing the creek everytime I drive by it on my way to town. I sure looks tempting but work calls. Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to go for a little while.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
The fishing on Cosby was good and I enjoy the time in the creek. If you get to fish this weekend good luck. Try a small Female Adam, Or a Male Adam. Something gray or light yellow may work this weekend.

pineman19
08-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Hello Fly Man Bill,

Nice report on the Cosby. I have never given that stream a try. Have always ended up on the Greenbriar when I am on that side of the Park. I'll have to give it a whirl since I'll be moving to Jefferson City in the middle of September. Would like to try the stocker section and wild brookie area as well.

Neal

ijsouth
08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
It's a great stream...the brookies are from basically the campground area on up - most of them are small, but I've caught a few nice ones. It is very tight, to say the least.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Neal,

I would like to welcome you to East Tennessee. The fishing on Cosby can be good or bad. The bad is when the creek is low. The higher you go up the creek the better the fishing gets better. Could hook some Brookies up high. If you like to fish put this little creek on your list to try. I get to fish the Cosby a lot. It is only a 10 min. drive from my home.
I fish Greenbriar early in the year,(April and May). The right side is good up high. The left hand side can be good but it is hit or miss. If you like to walk to get away from the crowds the right side is the ticket.
I've fished the lower section a couple of times. It was really slow. Ran into a lot of people,( swimmers and tubers and a few fisherman).
As far as the stock streams go they get pounded all season long. Some of the creeks you may want to try are the Lower section of the Cosby from where it runs from the Park to the Pigeon River. Brush Creek is a good creek early if you can beat the crowds. It is located in the Del Rio area of Cocke County in the National Forest. Paint Creek in the Green County area is also a go creek to fish, You may hook in to a Brown on the lower section of this creek. I hope this info. helps you out. If you get to fish the Cosby good luck.

Bill

May the Lord Bless you...

pineman19
08-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Hello Bill,

Thanks for the welcome on my move to East Tennessee. I have been reading a book on Tennessee trout fishing. Sounds like Paint Creek has some good brown truck water. I am looking forward to an opportunity to use my fly rods more often, they have collecting too much dust in West TN, lol. Thanks for the input on local waters, I am looking forward to living and working in East TN. I hope you have success on your trip to Deep Creek. I haven't fished Deep Creek much with a fly rod, but hope to explore it more when I move to the area.

Thanks again,

Neal

tennswede
08-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Neal, You are going to be real close to Holston below Cherokee dam. I need you to scout the area for me okay? Lol

Lone Oak
08-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Flyman Bill,

I and my family will be stayin in one of those creekside cabins, the last of Oct. Whats the chances of my grandkids, catching a trout where the cabins are located.
This one sits on 3 acres of land and it is right on the Cosby. Looks like a great place to relax, but yet, not to far to take the wife into Gatlinburg.
Thanks for any help.

jim

Fly_Man_Bill
08-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Jim,
The chance is good that they will hook a trout this time of year. If you go to Gatlinburg take the kids to the Children's Stream. It is located on Airport Road. There is a park for them to play and fish. The creek runs right along the road. There is several parking areas at this site. It will be on the right hand side of the road. I can not remember the name of the park. I think this part of the creek is for kids 12 and under. Also I think they can fish this part of the creek for free. I will check on the rules for you. The creek that runs through town can also be fished but you have to pay for a permit. The money for the permit goes back in to the fish stocking program. Money will spent. Anyone can fish here. I think the streams are closed on Thursdays for stocking. Getting back to the Cosby do you know the name of the Cabin rental that you are staying at? This will give me a better idea to tell you where to fish. I'll will reply later with the information about Gatlinburg.
Hope this helps and good luck fishing when you get here.

Bill

John 3:16

fishNlady
08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
We finally got a chance to go fish Cosby creek for a couple hours yesterday morning. My husband caught a couple of brookies. I had my usual luck. I got a few "almost gots" but didn't hook any. haha, oh well one of these days, I'll learn how to properly set that hook. I'm having plenty of fun trying anyway. We may go again tomorrow. Or possibly to Big Creek if we have time.

Lone Oak
08-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Bill, thanks for the information on the childs fishing area, I will be sure and check it out :)

We have a cabin booked for the end of Oct with Cosby Creek Cabins. The name of the cabin is: River's Edge

thanks again,

jim

Fly_Man_Bill
08-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Jim,
That is a nice location, it will be very colorful this fall with the leaves and all. Well back to fishing. The creek gets some pressure there but not a lot. I think you stand a good chance to hook some fish in this section of the stream. If you have time there are several good park streams in the area. If we get some good rainfall from now until Oct. the fishing should be good in the fall. Here Is a list of the streams that you can reach in an hour or less from the cabin: In the park you have Cosby, Greenbriar, Elkmount, The lower end of the Chimneys ( the section that runs by Sugarlands Welcome Center up to the first parking area going toward Cherokee) also, Big Creek, and Cataloochee. So if you can get way to fish there is plenty of water to wet a hook in. All of these streams fish well in the fall. There is some smaller creeks in the Cosby section of the park that hold some Brook trout but I do not remember their names. I think some of them are hard to reach. Hope this information will help you for any fishing trips that you have planed while your here on vacation.

Best,
Bill

John 3:16

Lone Oak
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank you sir for this information. It is a good thing to know, they we picked a decent place to stay with a good stream close by and other streams as well.
I do a lot reading here but don't know anything about any of the streams. I retired from the Fire Dept here in Chattanooga almost 3 yrs ago and hope to start FF soon. I bought a decent outfit here in Chattanooga before I found out about LRO.
I still would like to stop in there for a visit and maybe some lessons sometime soon. They seem like a good outfit to get to know.

Thanks again for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

jim

Bran
08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Bill, I always fish G-burg a couple of times with the family when we're there. It has been 10 dollars per person/per day for the permit but it requires no other license. Also there is a little kids stream and park located on the North end of G-burg where you are almost out of town going to Pigeon Forge and it's on your left down a street there, little sign up on the road for it. We've had a couple picnics down there and let my little girl fish but she never even had a bite, beautiful place though. The meat hunters will be out hard and heavy Friday morning for the stockers in town though so plan accordingly.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Bran,
Thank you for the info on the primet. I could not remember the price. The park you are talking about I think it is call Hubert Holt. I have taken my daughter there on a couple of times. It had sliped my mind. It is a good place for the kids to hang out and have fun. The Gatlinburg Fish Hatchery is located there as well.

Best,
Bill