View Full Version : Clinch Report

08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Went to the jail today. Muggy and hot, foggy and the water didn't come down fully until about noon. I expected that and was hoping for some bigger fish in the higher water. Man was I humbled today. I caught 2 Rainbows in five hours and I had to work for those. When they finally took they took hard on the downstream swing with a Prince BH 12. The river was full of fisherman but I didn't see much action. It is of course not easy to see anything with fog as thick as pea soup. The water was a cold 53 and the only negative of the day was the darned rock snot taking over the entire riverbed and that I fell on my way out and managed to look ridiculous in front of another fisherman in a boat. Oh well, I wasn't hurt and that is the main thing at my age. In summary a decent day but not easy to catch anything. I hope everyone else had a good weekend.

08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
The Clinch was the Grinch for me today. I and a friend put about 2 hours into the effort at the jail. We were blanked, and saw no fish caught while there. I did pick up a clump of bright weed on the way out and found it full of scuds......... I never tied one on today, maybe I should have! Glad you had at least a little luck Hans. Too many people, about the like the Caney last weekend. Did the sulphurs ever come off today?

08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Fished below the dam yesterday with another forum member and had a very good time. I only brought one rainbow to hand but he had several. All seemed to be between 5 and 7 inches.

I had a hard time sleeping last night so when 5am rolled around I decided to head back to the dam and try my luck again. Rolled into the parking lot around 5:45 and could barely see because of heavy fog. Got on the water alittle after 6 (cup of coffee slowed me down) and same story today, only one small rainbow.

I had a great weekend and that is really all that matters :biggrin:

08-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey Jswitow it was nice to meet you today. Tennswede was that you in the old school VW bug?

We had about the same results as you guys. I caught two 7 inch fish and one about 9 inches right off the bat then everything died. I was with three friends. My buddy Mike got skunked, Scott caught one about 10 inches and his sone caught one about 14 inches. Two of the fish that I caught dove deep and got tangled in the moss. I had to work my way to the fish a free them from the moss before I could bring them up and unhook them. Anyone else ever have this happen?

I will write a report about Saturady later. The kid was on fire Saturday.

the highlight / lowlight of my day came on one of the upper runs. I hooked a really nice fish. he ran down stream and then right at me, but then deep and about pulled me off my feet, no kidding, before he broke off. As far as I can tell it was the biggest fish I have ever hooked. I am still shanking over that one.


08-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Fished the Clinton section on Saturday and it was a strange day as well. Once the fog cleared around 10 am, I could count 30 fishermen from the spot I was in! I wandered upstream to what seems to be the land of the baitfishermen and absolutely tore it up. I caught about 8 fish in about an hour, one an old 15 inch bow that had only two nubs for pectoral fins left. Fish were rising everywhere (midge hatch?) and everyone seemed to be catching fish.

There was no magic to my method, just a big, bushy dry to act as an indicator and a #18 zebra midge as a dropper fished in the moving water (basically where the baitfishermen weren't fishing). Hard to believe the river could change that much in 24 hours, but it sounds like it did based on the Sunday reports. I guess I'm glad I dealt with the crowds on Saturday after all.

08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
To answer all quesetions: No I don't drive a bug, I drive an old white Ford Ranger. I have had many a fish lost to the darned rock snot (didymo) it is awful and if we aren't careful we will spread it all over the place on our waders, boots etc. It seem to be a very hard issue to solve.
I didn't see any sulphurs but a small hatch of green olive sedges coming off. They were a size 16 or so. I never tried a dry though. My old Prince works for most of the time. I can't wait until cooler weather.

08-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Nunavut4 I believe my dad and I saw you fighting that fish that broke you off. Did you walk back up from that spot a ways and catch another good fish that you fought for a good while before you landed it? My dad caught 5 fish and I caught 8 saturday. 1 on a streamer and the rest on drys. I picked up a rock and saw the scuds too. I didn't know what they were at the time.

08-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Nice meeting you as well Mark! Glad some of you caught a few. Best to Frank, my thoughts and prayers are with him.

Gerry Romer
08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Brett and I decided to try the Clinch (behind the church) today. I got completely skunked while he was killing 'em.

Started out at about 6:45 this a.m. and quickly got separated in the pea soup fog so I don't really know how his morning started. I do know that every time the fog dissipated a bit I could see he had a fish on. But he was too far away for me to see how big they were. I continued to work my way up toward the "steps" above the island - getting skunked - and by the time the fog lifted, Brett had pretty much caught up to me and was still tearin' up the rainbows.

He told me that the first few fish he caught were all caught on an olive midge dropper off a parachute Adams. This particular midge was tied by Bill Hall. Brett said he couldn't completely figure out what it was about the way Bill ties them but whatever it is, it works. So of course I tied on an Adams and one of my own stash of Bill's olive midges and began casting into the pools below the steps... just the way Brett had been doing it. He was still catching and I was still fishing.

Here's one of his early bows... this pig went just over 14"



As the fog continued to lift, I noticed that the purple martins were buzzing the water pretty hard. The only thing I could see coming off were tiny cream midges. About this time, the fish started surface eating so I tied on a microscopic midge dropper and continued getting skunked. Meanwhile Brett's still tearin' up the river.


He'd worked his way up to the pool right below where I was fishing just as the sulfurs started coming off and the fish in "my" pool began making some noisy rises. Brett noticed that the action on his olive midge had slowed down so he decided to switch to a cream midge and started casting to rising fish.

Here's the first of about 5 pigs he took out of "my" pool while standing about 20 feet to my left... with me casting the whole time. Well, I did stop to take some pics...


Talk about getting skunked! And me without a single cream midge to my name. I tied on just about everything I could find that came close but nothing worked. I finally just kinda gave up and watched Brett fish his way out of the river.

I wasn't too awful upset though because I spent the better part of the day yesterday catching my own pigs on the West Prong of the Little Pigeon! I had previously fished up high on the West Prong and on a small section below Sugarlands Visitors Center, but never the middle section - off a "Quiet Walkway". Nice water!! And very productive...

I caught three of these little 10" beauties and about a half dozen more in the dink to 8" range.


I wanted to get an early start so I left Alcoa at 5:55 am. The park was pretty much deserted so I made really good time. I was geared up and hiking in to the river at 6:50 am. With new-to-me water that close and that productive, I have a feeling I'll be exploring more of the Little Pigeon in the not too distant future. :biggrin:

Gerry Romer

08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey Fishnhunt, unfortunately that was not me. after "the big one that got away" I did not have another hit. but I think it was a friend of mine I talked to today that fished above me and he said that they torn them up on Sunday.

One day I will figure it all out, of course by then I will be too old to wade.


08-07-2007, 08:10 AM

I first began my fly fishing adventures here in TN in 1994 on West Prong of Little Pigeon. It is an awesome place. There are some stretches between the walkways that will take you 6-8 hours to fish through. You need to be careful wading this stream since it has some dangerous spots. If you get hurt it will be hard to get back out. With that said, I have many good memories from that stream. I have my personal record of most fish in a day from that stream. 63 fish. I also caught my best brookie there an 11 incher. I probably never will see another southern brook trout in that size range. That fish came in 2002 on a Joe's Hopper of all things. I need to get back to that spot soon. Glad you discovered a gem.