PDA

View Full Version : Need some soft advice

Flat Fly n
08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
I have tied just about every fly from salt to poppers, nymphs and dries, but I have never ever done soft hackles.....I know, I am missing out.

However I am going to the S. Fork of the Boise and there is pink, yes pink mayfly called the Pink Albert (E. alberta) AKA Yellow Quill,that apparently has the craziness to shed the shuck under water instead of on the top or in the film as most mayflies do, thus making duns not as important as the soft hackle version of this fly. http://www.westfly.com/ento/mays/yellow.htm

Does anyone have a great reference for this or some trick that they use. Mine keep coming up what appears longer than the bend, not much, but not perfect. I have a #2 Hun cape. Is it choosing the feather, prep, cape, or stupidity that is causing my problem. Is Scotch in a glass without ice cubes required like the ancients of the sport I imagined doing before there was comparaduns, parachutes, CDC, and the forbidden closed cell foam?

Most appreciated,
Flat Fly'n

Gerry Romer
08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Glass?? Put a nipple on the bottle and it'll all make sense in about 10 minutes!!

Gerry

Gerry Romer
08-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Seriously... It's choosing the feather. Try a small, light, almost downy feather from the underside of a wing.

Good luck!

Gerry

Flat Fly n
08-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advise. I tried the small downy feathers, the nipple, and added some Robert Earl Keen, and they look better. I think I need a better cape and will know what to look for when buying a cape. Oh wait, there is a Ruffed Grouse on my wall over the desk.......................

Flat

flyman
08-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Here is a solution to oversized soft hackels with photos by a friend of mine Plumbob.

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15690&highlight=plumbob+soft+hackles

flyman
08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I forgot to show you a simple partridge and yellow that I tie that will work fine for what you are trying to do.

http://www.flyfishsouth.com/upload/steve%20yates/Dscn0920.jpg

Flat Fly n
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Great site. Will bookmark this one for awhile.

Now I get to take apart my 8-10 fly effort from last night. I think the other jpg will work for the fly as well.

Thanks again,
Flat

Still not convinced this will make me a soft hackle person. We'll see on the S. Fork of the Boise in a couple of weeks.

buckeyetrouter
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
robert earl keen...........ten pound bass.......and what is the disfunctional holiday song?????? Now you're talking some music.....thought only them texas boys knew of r.e.k....................

buckeyetrouter

Flat Fly n
08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Got introduced to REK from one of my surgeons that is from Pecos. Great music.

REK and Lyle Lovett used to hang out together...."This old Porch". If you like him, try some Adam Carroll-Screen Door, with my favorite..:"Errol's Song"..involves duck hunting and of course "The girl with the dirty hair" with references to Redfish!

Recently went to see both of these guys in Asheville. Great time was had by all.

Flat Fly'n

buckeyetrouter
08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
wow....Lyle Lovett......"she ain't no lady she's my wife"......you have some seriously good taste in music.......how bout "John J. Blanchard" from Antony Smith.........of course now I'm getting into Christian artists.......you may enjoy Shawn McDonald if you ever get a chance to hear him. If you wanna hear some of his music, give me an email addy and I can send you a clip.......

anyways.....back to fishing....
buckeyetrouter

Flat Fly n
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Lyle Lovett's ...."If I had a boat"....

I listen to just about anything except the one that fits my saying.."You cant' spell CRAP without RAP"

Allman Brothers today tying #18 midge larve. Worked well on the Clinch Sunday AM Fogfishing, should work on the spring creeks. Midges are midges.

That Soft Hackle tip works except I still need work. Working on having 3 full Scientific boxes full, the ones with the double sides. Forgot what I listened to on the #20 CDC Trico Duns with 7x tails.........

Flat Fly'n

rainshaker
08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Got introduced to REK from one of my surgeons that is from Pecos. Great music.

REK and Lyle Lovett used to hang out together...."This old Porch". If you like him, try some Adam Carroll-Screen Door, with my favorite..:"Errol's Song"..involves duck hunting and of course "The girl with the dirty hair" with references to Redfish!
Recently went to see both of these guys in Asheville. Great time was had by all.

....Strange, I was getting ready to tell you fellas about Adam Carroll after I read the discussion on Lyle Lovett, but you beat me to it. Adam Carroll, simply put, is a gifted storyteller and one of my personal favs......check out "Smoky mtn taxi" "cane river blues"....

Flat Fly n
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
What a hoot re: Adam..

I've got his email address! Short story...One of my surgeons listens to him just about everyday. We have listened to him and REK, but mostly AC for so long we know all the lyrics....

I made several calls one day trying to see if he was coming to Nashville and found out that he and REK would be in Asheville @ The Orange Peel. We surprised the surgeon and 5 of us went over there and really did enjoy the place.. AC sang about 6 songs and the REK sang until about 11.

Too bad James Leisenring (The Art of tying the Wet Fly) never got to listen to some Alternatwang while tying soft hackles.

PS Examined a #1 Hun cape tonight, that would make some great soft hackles for smaller flies........There is definately a difference in quality of a #2 vs #1. Another $30

Thanks,
Phil