PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier

donwinn
08-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I know some of you fish the Greenbrier area. How far up do you go? Do you fish above where the trail narrows (approximately 2 miles)? What size fish do you catch? I think the area is beautiful, and unfortunately, hiked there this past weekend without getting to do any fishing.

Bryon and Paula, I am sorry I missed you this weekend. I did enjoy talking to Daniel for a few moments. Your guys were very helpful as usual.

Hope everyone can survive the heat, and I look forward to some cooler days with falling rain.

tennswede
08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I fish it mostly from the Ramsay Cascades Trailhead and up. I have fished all the way to Buck Fork. This is very remote and rugged territory. If you fish solo I wouldn't stray too far from the trail. If you get hurt in there you will have a hard time getting back out. The fishing is good most of the time.

sammcdonald
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
trail actually narrows at the old trail to the greenbriar pinnacle (1 1/2 miles). that's a neat trail but no fish up there.

Rog 1
08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Park at the RC trailhead, walk down to the bridge and fish back up....some of the biggest boulders in the park.....might want to also try fishing Porter's Creek....either park at the gate and walk back down and fish up or hike in a little....really pretty water.

pineman19
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Hello all,

Heading to east TN on Thursday to search for a place to live, and hopefully will get the opportunity to wet a line. Thinking of trying the Greenbriar or Cosby area. I figure on hiking upstream a ways. Looks like the rainfall has slowed again over that way, would it be worth the effort to fish the headwaters of one of these streams or should I focus my efforts elsewhere.

Thanks ahead for any input,

Neal

tennswede
08-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Neal!

Haven't been up there in a month or so, but with the scorching heat we are having I would definitely not fish below Ramsay Trail head.

milligan trout degree
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I fished up the ramsey's cascade trail about the bridge today. i hooked one bow right at the bridge but long released it. i followed that pattern for the next four fish, hooking them, then long releasing. i'm still learning a lot, but i'm getting a lot more strikes and hooking more. i just havent gotten real good hooksets yet. i did however land an 9" brookie on an ehc. only my third wild trout and definately my biggest.

a little warning before hiking this stream. it has some killer boulders scattered all around.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Neal,

On Sunday afternoon my nephew and one of his friends fished Porters Creek. They parked at the gate and walked in a ways before they started fishing. He said that the fish hit pretty good on Male Adams and any thing yellow. They were using #12 hooks. He also, stated that they caught several small fish. Together they caught six fish in the 7 to 10 inch range a long with all of the small fish. Those six were their best fish. They were hoping to hook some Brookies. But every thing they caught were Rainbows. Also use some thing small and black or green. A long with the other flies mentioned. They how ever had to end their trip quit quickly because they came across a big mommy bear and to cubs at the creeks edge. The bears did not run away they stood their ground and started drinking water, So the to brave fisherman backed out of the creek and made a mad dash for the truck... They also have pictures of a solid Black Rattle Snake that crossed the road right below the picnic area. As they were on the way home. My nephew said it was 5.5 to 6 feet long... I seen the pic. It is a nice Rattler. So if you go up there to fish be careful and good luck.

Best,
Bill

May the Good Lord Bless you...

pineman19
08-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the reports on The Greenbriar area. Don't worrry about missing a lot of fish Milligan Trout, it takes a while to get used to the quick strikes of the wild trout in the Smokies, I still miss a lot of miss, hopefully I'll get better as well when I have the opportunity to fish those waters more often. I may have to try Porters Creek sometime Fly Ma Bill. I have always passed it up to fish the main prong of the river.

Neal

Barbara
08-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Sam,
Check your email about trip to Greenbriar. Thanks.

donwinn
08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks to all for the information. Let's pray for some rain and cooler weather.

jeffnles1
08-13-2007, 08:48 AM
If one believes the 10 day forecast, some cooler weather is coming toward the end of the 10 day
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTN0509?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Not cold but high 80's vs. mid to high 90s

Jeff

sammcdonald
08-13-2007, 03:39 PM
just below the trailhead to ramsey is a tree with many many trunks growing out of a rock...just below that is a giant boulder and a small splash pool....it has held many a happy fish for me

Troutman
08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Fished with Bran yesterday evening on Greenbrier. He is in town for a few days so we met up at the picnic parking area. I arrived a few minutes before him and checked the water temp there at 67deg at 6pm. We drove on up to the ramsey's trailhead and hiked up to the turnaround. It was his first trip to Greenbrier and I wanted to put him on some brookies. I checked the temps there before fishing and it was 64deg. We hit all the deeper pools and caught several brookies and 1 rainbow before quiting around dark. The water flow was lower than my last trip there but the main runs were still 1-2 ft deep and the brookies were hot for a well drifted yellow para adams. I rechecked it again right at dark and it had dropped down to 63deg. If you fish the area, go at daylight or wait until after 6pm.