PDA

View Full Version : Hyde or Clackacraft????

Fishermansfly
08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I may start war! Who's the better boat maker for floats on the local tailwaters! Clacka or Hyde? Are there any better out there? Sizes, models, features! Please help me out! What should I expect to pay new and does anyone out there know anybody out there that has one for sale?

Fishermansfly
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
I think I already know where this is going but please give me some help on models and necessary features and maybe some not so necessary features that are worth having!

Thanks in advance and look forward to opinions!

Troutman
08-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Don't rule out RO drift boats. I took a trip down the Madison in a skiff. The low profile handled windy conditions well. They are very popular with guides out West.

Bran
08-09-2007, 02:20 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z9/bmidkiff_photos/NewGrayInterior.jpg

Bran
08-09-2007, 02:22 PM
The above is a Hog Island, I'll send you pricing and another pic if you email me at branmidkiff@gmail.com I just did some research recently but I don't own one. The clackacraft also looks pretty good, they sent me a catalog.

Flat Fly n
08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I had an old one for 9 years. At first I got upset I barely scraped it on a rock in the Clinch, and trust me you will hit rocks just as trout rise to a #16 crippled sulphur. After I spoke to the owner on how they treat their own boats(lowering them by the bow ring over rock edges into the river below) and saying he would "warranty the bottom against a bomb or 100 years", I quit worrying. There is 6" of solid glass in the bottom. Hit it, beat it, fish it, and depend on it.

What I did hear is that Hyde (high riding Hyde) has foam in the bottom. If there is a crack in the bottom, and water is absorbed, and then it gets cold enough outside to freeze.....same principle as a Coke can in a freezer.

I would suggest the low sided Clacka if you can find one, if not the old ones are easy to row and fish out of, but in big wind and sore arms from several long days of rowing it may make a difference.

Flat Fly'n

Fishermansfly
08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Alright this is something I didn't know the two boats! Solid glass or foam and glass, thanks for the imput! If I were planning on a Hyde I was going to go with an aluminum bottom Hyde! The expense in this kinda boat (w/no motor) what's an extra grand or two for the aluminum! You did however say "low side" got my curiosity flowing! I noticed clacka makes several models for all types of purposes and it's hard to differentiate the models by looking online! I ordered the catalogue several days ago and hopefully it will get here soon!

Let me further state what I'm looking for in a boat!

Plenty of room for 2 anglers and one at the oars w/a level floor!
Storage for gear and a built in cooler.
High riding boat for skinny water or a bullet proof bottom!
"Smart" Storage for ample storage of goods without sacrificing space!

I want a drift boat capable of floating a wide variety of tailwaters. I like clacka's idea in there rail system that allows you to add accessories and customize seating, storage, and otherwise personalize your boat! I'm sure I'd be happy with any ol boat that would float me down river but when money is invested. I'd prefer to have it well invested! I'm also sure when I get one it will see plenty of water!

Free float for anyone who gets me on the right boat when I get it!

Further questions; Which clacka model should I be looking at? Where's a dealer of drift boats around here?

I haven't had time to browse the other two models yet! I retract that statement I haven't had time to look at the Hog. I have however looked at the RO's and boy that put one high class paint jobs on their boats! There a good looking boat! Troutman, being as I've never fished any water out west. Aren't a vast majority of there waters deeper than ours! I know a vast majority of what is fished are large streams....I didn't spend much time looking around there site I became worried with that though. I know most of these makers are out west but Hyde and Clacka are the only two I've seen in our local waters!

Fishermansfly
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Ok, so my wife came home to me sleeping on the couch on her lunch waving a package around with my name on it. I had requested a catalogue from clacka a little over two days ago. Wow! Not only was it quick but it came accompanied with A well thought out dvd! The dvd was informative in alot of aspects.....all of course sell points on there skiffs. My only dislike to the video is they don't cover all of there models and there specific designed uses. They specifically cover two models, one more than the other in the dvd. Not sure which boat it is, I would have to look. The model they covered the most was a steelheading boat designed with a front bench seat then they breifly covered there 16LP model. Giving a very brief view of the boat itself! The 16LP is the model chosen specifically for fly fishing! To those out there that want to know a price it took three days to find an online retailer with a price, and no the brochure they send doesn't come with any pricing! The 16LP with level floors, casting braces (front and rear), trailer, oars, and anchor rope start at $7,600.00 and go from there depending on accessories! The basic layout is all a person really needs or any guide would use! They appear to make a fine craft which is endorsed by several lodges and backed by a multitude of guides accross the states! It's an amazing boat to watch move throught the water! The video has a short clip on moving down the Dechutes river in several rapids. Looked like a rather dry riding boat as well! I'm impressed not sold yet though! I'd like to take a float in a new one with the gulf stream technology! Those guys that's been doing it a while make it look neer effortless!

Marmot
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Dont know of any boat dealers on the east coast.. If ya order one from Clacka they will build them to your specifications and color choices.. They will then ship it to ya from Idaho/Oregon or you can pick it up there.... Shipping is around $800.. Ya haft to wait for them to have a load coming east though.. Usually every couple of months I think.. The next one headed this way will be around the end of the month.. If the load is not full you may be able to get on that one.. If it is full it will be another few months after that. Or you can pick it up in Idaho..

Hope this helps ya out..

Marmot

billyspey
08-10-2007, 10:46 PM
the best time to buy a clackacraft is in the winter and get it shipped when make a trip to the charolette show in the early spring on a show special deal ;2007 show price 16' lp $ 6995. complete,ready for the river, factory direct price $7695 retail price is $11095 . the 16' lp is a guide boat, the 15 lp is easier to handle if fishing by your self or 1 other person it is the sports car of drift boats the diference between 16lp and 15lp 1 ft. longer behind the rower seat for extra gear . for a guide with 2 anglers and giude. i heared today that there was a hyde dealer on signal mountain in chattanoga don't have a name but was told that hyde had a link from their web site. i have a friend who has ordered a new hyde with a g4 bottom . brent give me a call if you want more info?

Fishermansfly
08-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks again to everyone who's replied! Bill I think I'm going to try to attend that show in NC. I went by LRO and was asking Byron about that show in particular and who put it on. We got on conversation of the FFF conclave! By the sound of things they will be moving it right here in good ol Alcoa at the airport!!! Good deal! So hopefully there will be more of that factory direct pricing to go around! Bill, what clacka model have you got floating around that garage of yours? I also figured out what type of wire you bought! Amber! I had one of the guys pull up your last purchase and there it was! I looked at the other items you bought and said yep that's definately a purchase Bill would make! Byron had just recieved a batch of pheasant tail but none in the right color! In watching there DVD I began to wonder why they only demonstrated there one specific model..Got me thinking! Is the 16LP harder to manuever at the helm? You may know the answer to this as well! It mention the boat draws 6" loaded w/3 persons!??? I'm looking for a boat that will get me through some of that water we went through the day I spent fishing w/you! Never being at the helm of one of these boats I'm a little concerned about beaching my brand new boat on a gravel bar when it's loaded down w/people! Or worse being out in the water and getting the generation schedule confused and having to move it through skinny water! There's alot more water around here I'd like to fish and be able to do so while there generating! What's draw in a non marine language?

Thanks again!
Brett

Milton
08-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Brett-

I stopped at Wilder Outdoors in North Georgia on my way to the GSMNP several days ago, and saw that they've got several drift boats for sale. I didn't pay attention to what models they've got, but when you've decided what you want, it might be worth giving them a call to see if they've got a deal for you.

-Milton

http://www.wilderoutdoors.com/index.php

Fishermansfly
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
They'd be the only ones around here that sell them! Career opportunity here guys! Someone open up a drift shop! Of course I would imagine there's not quite the large mkt for them here, like there would be out west! Thanks for the info!

billyspey
08-11-2007, 09:57 PM
i am kinda boat poor 16 lp clacka ,14 southfork skiff and a 16 xpress tunnel jet. i need to sale the southfork skiff ,i have been redoing it all summer in between fishing and work making head way, should be done with it in about a week or 2 most all drift boats are going to draft about 6 in. with the rocker they have will roll over the rocks they all are going to get scratch up.just the nature of the beast. thats why buying used is sometime better allready have the marks of the river that way you don't have the problem of the first scrape. thats all over with.the clacks already has lots of experiences. p.s .skiffs tend to ride a little more shallow than a drifter not as much rocker. smaller, 14-15 ft and more narrow general about 48in wide bottom drifters are about 56 in bottom

Flat Fly n
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I might have a lead on a used OLD fiberglass 16F Clacka Guide. Let me know how I can get in touch with you.

But if you get it, my commission is to go down the Clinch with you this fall?

I'll even go halves on the rowing.

Flat Fly'n
If the PM doesn't work, they have my cell number down at LRO

Fishermansfly
08-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Here's my email Fishermasnfly@yahoo.com..... How old r we talking? What condition! I'm liking the new idea, of course at a demo price! Shoot me an e-mail and let me know where it's at!

clearwaterscott
08-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Earlier this summer my wife and I made our first trip to the Smokey’s for fishing. I hooked up with the good folks at LRO for advice and equipment. Stunted by heat here in Missouri today I thought I would see how the fishing is out there and came across your thread on the drift boat. I have a clack I am parting with; it’s several years old but in great shape. Honestly, has been in water less than 30 times. If you are interested I will forward to you the specifics. If we work out a deal we might be able to meet half way. scott@clearwater-outfitters.com.

D. Scott Penman

Grumpy
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I've owned 2 Clacka's, one 16' LP & a 16' WF, the LP is all you need around here.
I recently rowed a new Hyde from the Signal MTN dealer, it is a nice boat & Dan the owner is super nice, his website, www.qvllc.com (http://www.qvllc.com), pretty darn good prices on a 06 Hyde.
I'm kinda with billyspey, it hurts when ya put that first ding in a new one, didn't bother me a bit the first time i di it in a used one, well, maybe a little.

Grumpy

Sage
08-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Having fished out of both, I'd have to buy a Clacka. Sturdy stands, plenty of room for you, your friends/clients, your gear, extra rods, and moving around. They row nicely and ride high. But let's face it, they're both good boats. If you are like me, a good deal is hard to pass up no matter what brands. You might want to contact some fly shops out west to see if anyone needs to move anything. Maybe someone needs to upgrade and you can find a bargain. Enjoy the hunt for the boat - look forward to seeing pictures of whatever you find.

Petey
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I float one of these....

http://www.boulderboatworks.com/

Here is a pic of it....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/948356/Boulderboat.jpg

The hull and chine of these boats are made using HDPE. It is a super strong plastic that can take a licking and keep on ticking. Depending one what you are after they can be a bit pricey, but their basic models are reasonably priced if you don't get one with all the bells and whistles.

I have had mine for nearly 2 and a half years and have loved it. The clackas and hydes tend to be a more nimble than my boat. But I can slide over things that they can't or will gouge their gel coat on the fiberglass. I have seen those boats become hung on things that I just smooth right over.

The Hog Island is made of the same material (HDPE) but put together differently. They assemble using an roto-injection mold. My boat is plastic welded.

Another thing is if you buy a boat that has wood work, eventually you will have to do some re-varnishing and minor wood work. The Clackas, hydes and the likes require less maintenance from that stand point. But then again, I will never have to get my chine re-gel coated.

I have rowed or been in each and each has it's pluses and minuses. It just depends what you are after and which one meets your most critical needs.

Petey

Bran
08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Hog Island just sent me an e-mail informing me that they are now offering free shipping to the river of your choice in the lower 48. Now that's got me interested again in a drifter. All orders recieved the next 60 days get this deal and also here is a link with video, look at the H.I. LTD 16
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hog+island+boat&search=Search