PDA

View Full Version : "Greasy" Turkey...help

David Knapp
08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I bought a full turkey tail on my trip out west which will be perfect since I use quite a bit of turkey. There is a downside however and that is the tail is, for lack of a better word, still quite greasy. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I know you can rub something into it to soak up the grease and help cure it but have never done anything like this and don't know what to use... Thanks for any help!

Stonefly
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Are you talking about just the stem, or the feather fibers themselves? You can wash the whole thing in soapy water, may take care of your problem.

sb

David Knapp
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
The base of the feathers where there is still a bit of "skin", at least I suppose that's what it is... I've thought about just pulling all the feathers off and washing them and storing them in a new bag...

flyman
08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Trim all the excess skin and meat off of the tail. Wash it in some type degreaser. Place it between paper towels or a newpaper to dry and absorb any left over grease. If you pluck the feathers you may still want to wash them. Store them in a paper bag until they dry out. not plastic!

David Knapp
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks flyman! That's just what I'm looking for. I really had no idea how to start...I would have used plastic as well...:eek: :biggrin:

flyman
08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Paper will breath, just tape the top shut to keep out pest. Plastic will be fine once they have dryed out.

Paula Begley
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
In addition to what has been posted, you can coat the base with kosher salt or borax to dry out that part. Store it in paper until completely dry.

Paula

Lindsey
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Plateau...I agree with Paula. Borax works great. If there is a lot of remaining skin, remove as much as possible. Lay the fan out and cover this area completely with borax. It may take a while. If this doesn't work, PM me and I will send you a fan, My son and I have plenty.

David Knapp
08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Paula and Lindsey, thanks for the recommendations. I believe borax is what I remember having read about using. I just couldn't remember what it was called. Where do you buy borax?

Fishermansfly
08-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Laundry Isle next to the detergent's usually! Whatcha need all that turkey for anywho ;)

Some one help a brother out with a pattern? Can't find it anywhere did several intense minutes of googling! PAT'S NYMPH????? I found several references to a Pat's rubber legged nymph usually tied within the 6 to 10 size range.....There's reference on another site to it's use on the HI.....I'm interested in the pattern and what it looks like>>>>Something like a copper john????? Any help is appreciated! I'm thinking it's an old fly that has a new spin on it and has since dawned a new name! HELP!

PA u hittin up any local water any time soon? I'm thinking Thursday or Friday? I have Saturday off but will be sleeping in Saturday....Who knows maybe not!

Thanks Brett
Brett

ttas67
08-21-2007, 04:25 AM
think tellico

Troutman
08-21-2007, 09:24 AM
The tellico river is extremely low also. Most of the riverbed is exposed on the lower section as you enter the cherohala parkway, don't expect there to be good water levels anywhere in the mtn. streams right now.
You may want to email tellico angler before going over to those streams for info. I was down there 2 weeks ago at Indian boundary and it was almost dry then.

ttas67
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I was referring to a tellico nymph, but thanks for the info anyways, as I've actually been wondering if any of the other mountain watersheds might be fishable. I guess not.

David Knapp
08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Brett, as Trevor was saying, I need to tie a "few" Tellicos...:rolleyes: Seriously, I go through those flies and consequently the turkey very fast. There are some other patterns I've been wanting to tie more often but always hated to use up my turkey.

I won't be fishing much for a week or two since I've gotta get ready for school. I may run over to hit the Caney near the end of the week for a few hours although I'm not sure. If you haven't tried it, you should come try it in the fall. Fishing can be excellent then. Let me know ahead of time and I can probably try and meet up with you...

Troutman
08-21-2007, 01:22 PM
right ,tellico nymph. I should have read the other post first. I go through alot of turkey tail also tying those big rubberleg tellicos stoneflies and george nymphs. You need to find a "Turkey hunter" and do some trading. Almost accidently got a grey fox this morning on the way to work, he chased a rabbit across the road in front of me.
BTW, How did the foam hoppers work out west?

ttas67
08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
that hopper pattern was the only one I used the whole time out there, and it did great! for whatever reason, the hopper fishing was not as hot as I hear it should have been this time of year, but either way, I caught fish with it ... especially on the yellowstone.