PDA

View Full Version : 8/21/07 Photos Little River

Byron Begley
08-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I drove around the Park for a couple of hours and took these pictures. Sorry the photos don't line up with the text. I did something wrong. Daniel can fix it tomorrow. He is off today.

Byron

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/pages/fishing/drought.htm

Gerry Romer
08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Byron.

I bet that was depressing. Those pics are hard to look at. I know when I fished Metcalf Bottoms a few weeks back, you could walk into the middle of the stream bed from the Wears Cove entrance and walk from the bottom of the Metcalf picnic area to the top without getting your boots wet.

Three years ago, Brett and I tried wading that section from the bridge looking up toward Elkmont and I had to give up because the water was chest high and pretty fast!

Gerry

buckeyetrouter
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
boy that is amazing and heartbreaking all at the same time......what is the forcast for rain and what would it take to get levels back to a somewhat normal level?

Our streams and rivers were almost dry until last night. We just received an incredible amount of rain.....so much so that I-75 was closed at points because the water flow (which is from a stream that typically is 6ft below the interstate brige) was crossing the interstate and even pushed several semi rigs into the medium.....

buckeyetrouter

DrewDelashmit
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the photos Byron, pretty depressing. My folks have told me ad nasuem about the drought, especially as it affects the nursery. I hope that the drought breaks soon and isn't something that continues for several more years.

Drew

Vern
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow, I had no idea that it was that bad. Not only does it look sad but that does even look like it would be fun to fish. Thanks for the pictures.

snaildarter
08-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Thank you, very much, for showing us those pictures. The streams look like ditches. The Middle Prong around GSMI looks so incredibly low. Actually, they all look incredibly low. I don't know if I could make myself fish, despite any other beliefs I might have. It's sad.

But I think it is important to remember that this is nature, doing what nature does. Those fish and their ancient relatives have survived this kind of thing since long before we were here. The weak ones will die, and the strong ones will live, and pass their good genes on to next year. That is how it has worked for a very long time.

ijsouth
08-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Well, the NWS backed off on that "weakness" in the Bermuda High, so it's hard to say when real relief will come. I did notice the mountains got some rain today, but what we need is a fundamental shift in the pattern. That will happen sooner or later; the Bermuda High is a summertime feature, and eventually it retreats as fall approaches. No doubt increased tropical activity has a role in its demise; hurricanes are nothing more than heat engines, and that latent heat from the southern latitudes is transferred northwards.

Some of those pictures look more like Bayou La L'outre in St Bernard Parish at low tide.

PeteCz
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Given where we are in the current drought, what type of weather pattern would we need to correct it? How much rain would it take within a 1-2 week period to get to something nearing normal? 5"-7"? more?

Obviously if we get too much too quickly it would run off quickly.

Also, as bad as the pictures look, I can honestly say that its even worse in person. Looking at the banks along Metcalf Bottoms is quite depressing and the water along the Little River Rd looks very bleak right now.

But as Mr. S. Darter has correctly pointed out, this too shall pass...

Vern
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
What I am afraid of is when this weather pattern changes we will get too much rain too fast. As dry as my yard is the rain will just run off. If heavy rains come, like from a hurricane, I am afraid that we don't have flash flood that would just compound the problems. We need a good steady rain.

ijsouth
08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
The high temperature in NYC was 59 today, with rain. It was the chilliest Aug 21 in history there. While it is expected to warm back up, the cool air of fall is coming, folks.