PDA

View Full Version : I 81 Opportunities?

nvr2L8
08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I am driving up to D.C. on Monday (yeah, after the race). Is there somewhere up I 81 that I could pull off and fish for a couple of hours? Don't want to get too far the interstate.

milligan trout degree
08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
the watauga is 20 - 30 minutes off I-81 from exit 54 or 55 or something. which ever hits 26E. the soho may be close too, but i'm not sure. once you get past that, you've lost me completely as far as trout fishing goes. sorry.

ttas67
08-24-2007, 12:43 AM
mossy creek in VA for 18inch spring creek browns, but you have to obtain a permit for that creek, AND pay for a VA lic.

ijsouth
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
You can also fish in Shenandoah National Park for brookies - they've had some water problems, too, but I think they've had more rain than the Smokies this year. You really need a good map, though - the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club puts out some very detailed maps. This time of year, you probably are better off parking somewhere on Skyline Drive and hiking down the mountain to the headwaters; you might not have time for that. However, if you do, I would highly recommend taking a drive down Skyline Drive, just south of Big Meadows...look for a parking area on your right at Milam Gap. Across the road (heading east down the mountain) is the Mill Prong Trail. Take it down until you reach some fishable water - the stream is Mill Prong, one of two headwater streams of the Rapidan River. If you go down about 2-3 miles, you will eventually reach Rapidan Camp, which was the fishing retreat of President Hoover - the park service has done a nice job restoring the buildings. At Rapidan Camp, Laurel Prong meets Mill Prong to form the Rapidan. You can continue down the Rapidan Fire Road to fish more of the Rapidan; eventually, you pass out of the park into a WMA, then back into the park again. From what I've read of conditions, though, don't waste time in the lower sections - the cold water is up top. Mill Prong has a low canopy, much like Cosby, and further down on the Rapidan is much like Greenbriar - a ton of big boulders, etc. Anyway, it's a neat stream, and it's where I caught the "trout disease".

For something a bit closer, you could try Passage Creek or Big/Little Stoney Creeks in the Edinburg area (just a little ways south of the junction of I-81 with I-66). I haven't fished these streams, but I have read a little about them.

nvr2L8
08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

An extended fishing trip to the Shenandoah would be pretty cool - maybe someday.