PDA

View Full Version : Line Retrieval

Rog 1
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I can remember the first lesson about fly fishing I got as a youngster was to keep as much line off the water as possible to eliminate that evil "drag" factor. I remember watching a TV spot featuring Lee Wulff and his demonstating a 3 finger retrieve with your left hand that basically allowed you to keep a full finger grip on the rod....I still use this method of retrieval but notice that my son has gone to stripping his line in through his index finger on the rod....just wondering if anyone knows of this method or am I alone in the darkness and this is just something I dreamed up or that my old memory cannot truly recall the origin.

flyman
08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you are using a hand twist retrieve to remove the slack. I use the hand twist retrieve to impart some movement to certain types of flies, but I remove the slack like your son does. I place the line under my forefinger immediately after I make the cast, and start adding or removing slack line as needed.

Rog 1
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Flyman....you nailed it...did not remember the term for it.....thanks.

Fishermansfly
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Figure Eight Retrieve! I think that may be the term your looking for! I use both depending on how much line I have on the water and how I'm fishing..I've since re-hashed my thinking on it after having several "rope" burns to my index fingers....I can't think of too many things that hurt worse than that!

Brett