PDA

View Full Version : Byron's Les Paul

jdwindon
08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Byron, I've noticed that many fly Fishermen also either have or do play guitar. I wonder if there is a large percent or what. Anyhow, I play a Taylor 414 and go strictly acoustic. In 6 years of playing I've never even picked up an electric. Maybe some day, who knows.

With it being so hot and no Park fishing, why don't you "lay down an back beat and crank up your trusty Gibson, Son"? It's a misdemeanor to let that ax hang on the wall for so long. Might help you forget about the drought. I believe I'll change strings and flat pick tonight with a cold beer or two. Let me know if you do and how it works out.

Jimi, like Stevie Ray, understood the instrument. God Bless both.

milligan trout degree
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I play guitar too. I can't really play much on electric. I might if I had one, but that's another story. Maybe you could write an LRO theme song. or the Little River Drought Blues.

jeffnles1
08-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I play guitar too. I have a couple Martins (HD-28V, SPD-16K2 Koa), a 12 string Seagull, an Epiphone Les Paul, an Oation, end a campfire beater. Wow, I sure do hope my wife does not read this message board. She may start asking questions about how much fly rods and guitars cost.

Now, I wish I had the talent to play them to their full potential...

Jeff

Stonefly
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Jeff -

Those Koa Martins are pretty sweet. I'm down to one Martin HD-28 guitar and one Breedlove mandolin.

There's a mandolin discussion group on the net that holds an annual weekend doin' on a trout stream in NC. I think there is definitely some correlation or at least common interests...

sb

fishNlady
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Another picker here. I've been spending more time with my Fender Tele the last couple of weeks. Too hot and dry to fish so my spare time has been spent getting the rust out of my fingers and playing some blues and rock. I've got 3 Telecasters and a Gibson SG here. The SG is a Tony Iommi Signature model and It's set up with the same type of pickups he used in Sabbath. It really nails that Black Sabbath sound.

Brian Griffing
08-24-2007, 06:46 PM
My daddy left home when I was 3.
He didn't leave much for ma and me.
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze...

ttas67
08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I play some, although not as much as I used to, since I started fly fishing at least. strictly acoustic now, takamine. in fact, I just sold my tele last month and bought a winston fly rod w/ the money!

if I could play any other instrument, it would probably be a sax/trumpet, or the piano.

nvr2L8
08-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I play a pretty mean I-Pod. Guess that doesn't count.

Any fly fisherpersons out there Merlefest attendees? After fishing, music is my passion - just can't play.

RNGIII
08-24-2007, 09:30 PM
I play guitar too. I'm actually going into the studio in late September early October. You can hear a rough cut of one of my tunes here.
www.myspace.com/bobgoodsonandthebluesmachine (http://www.myspace.com/bobgoodsonandthebluesmachine)

I've got an old 1940's Kay acoustic that my Dad got when he was a kid. The guitar is in good shape except for the neck. My favorite guitar is a Strat. I saw Eric Clapton in 1990 on the Journeyman tour and said... "I want to play like that!" There are some emotions that can only be expressed in music.

I agree with Byron and many others here. Jimi and Stevie changed the sound of music. Especially Jimi. I find it ironic that I came to the message board to post about Byron's fishing report today and there was already a post about music.

Man I love this board!! I can feel the stress oooze out of me every time I visit.

jeffnles1
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Here are a couple pics of my guitars.

Click on the thumbnails to see full size if interested.
HD-28V
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/Martin/th_IMG_0040.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/Martin/IMG_0040.jpg)

SPD-16K2
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/Martin/th_P1120031.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/Martin/P1120031.jpg)

Epiphone Les Paul
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/th_P1190001.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/P1190001.jpg)

Jeff

Fly_Man_Bill
08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I agree that Jimi and Stevie put their stamp on music, but what about Jimmy Page or Chet Atkins or Eddie Van Halen. They all pick a mean guitar. I think they changed their genre of music. I don't play but I really like all types of music. Blue Grass is my favorite. I got to meet Mr. Bill Monroe at a festival before he past away. I thought that it was cool to me him. I like the sound of a good banjo. But any music will do. If I played a guitar it would be a Martin. I have a friend who plays. He owns a old Martin and it sounds really great. I do not know what the model is. Well I guess that I'll turn on the i -pod and tie some flies.

Bill

boxman
08-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I too make a little music. I find it really neat how sitting down and playing for a while each day helps me reach my innermost feelings-much the same as standing in the river does. My playing is mostly confined to acoustic but my friends say I tend to be eclectic. Working affords me the opportunity to have some nice guitars. I currently have too many, but my favorites are a 1977 Martin D-28, an Eric Clapton Signature Model Martin 00028EC, and a Martin 0015. My oldest nephew has a vintage Les Paul. I really enjoy hearing him play it. I also have a Gibson f-5 mandolin that I am beginning to make some fair sounds come out of, but I'm no Grisman yet. My favorite artists are many, but guitar wise, here are a few-ERIC CLAPTON(got to meet him in August 2006), Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert and BB King, TONY RICE, Norman Blake, JAMES TAYLOR, Jerry Garcia(especially his acoustic stuff with David Grisman), NEIL YOUNG, Brian Sutton, Tim Stafford (an old high school friend who introduced me to Bluegrass-currently with BLUE HIGHWAY), and many others.

One of my favorite things in life is to sit down after a good day of fishing with a old scottish beverage, my guitar, and my dog curled up at my feet to let my soul fly for a spell. I am thankful I found out about doing it!

Boxman

jdwindon
08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
What about a pick-in at the shop to bring the pickers/fishers together since we can't (won't) fish the Park? Maybe a bit of assistance from TU or Townsend and a few burgers, etc. Could even be a fundraiser.

Bring your guitars and fly rods and make music, have fun, make friends and spend $$ at your shop for better days ahead. Hastily assembled, around the third weekend of Sept? (I suggest that for selfish reasons since I'll be gone until then). A catchy name needed.

1. The First-Quite-Possibly-Occasionally-Annual Pick and Cast.
2. Drought and Trout
3. ByronFest

jeffnles1
08-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Sorry about another post in this thread.

I didn't realize there would be so many Martin fans here. If you're a Martin guitar player you may want to visit the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. The web address is www.umgf.com (http://www.umgf.com) or you can type the full web address of http://p082.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

It's a pretty decent group of musicians. I'm going picking with a bunch of them today.

Jeff

Byron Begley
08-25-2007, 01:43 PM
As a teenager I made many mistakes. As an adult I made more. But one of the worst mistakes I have ever made is trading my Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean which I got new around 1967 or 1968 for an electric piano. That guitar made me sound much better than I was. I still miss it. I can even still smell it. I saw George Harrison with one, tried one out at a music store in New York and got it for Christmas from my parents. I was a spoiled kid.

My favorite guitarists now are: David Gilmour, Steuart Smith, Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton.

JD, Music at the shop is a great idea. That will take some thought.

Byron

Brian Griffing
08-25-2007, 02:05 PM
I see no one has mentioned Richie Sambora or C.C. DeVille.
Seriously, though, I'm at work, I've gotta quit reading this stuff. Its not even about fishing. Apparently your tax dollars are being well spent.

jlmarkland
08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
I play as well (Taylor 514ce). I would love to see a music day at the shop. I am not a great player, but my guitar makes me sound alot better than I really am... How about PAULAPALOOZA?

fishNlady
08-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I see no one has mentioned Richie Sambora or C.C. DeVille.
And let's not forget Angus Young, and Slash! And also the great blues men B.B. King, Buddy Guy and T-bone Walker.
:biggrin:

nvr2L8
08-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Stevie was the ONLY one who could ever do justice to Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). Many have attempted, many have failed miserably.

One name that I have not heard is a guy that has flown under the radar for a few years - Joe Bonamassa. Great blues and rock guy.

Rock on with tight lines.