PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the usual spots

tennswede
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm sitting here getting a heat stroke as you can probably tell from my philosophical ramblings on the other boards. My question is, Anyone out there with some recent findings from some unusual or more remote locations in our state? I'm specifically thinking about the mountain lakes, Chilhowee, calderwood, Cheoah, wilbur etch. I'm in need of an alternative to our dried up rivers and I'm wanting something different from the regular tailwaters. Thanks in advance.

kytroutman
08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Hans, I haven't been down since the drought started. How's the Bald?

tennswede
08-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I have not been to Bald River since the late nineties. I seriously doubt you will find much fishable water there either. We are basically in a severe drought and with rainfall in Knoxville being 13" plus below normal I don't see much hope for fishing a freestoner right now. If you are planning on coming down I would do a lake or tailwater.

kytroutman
08-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I purposely stay away during the tourist season. I am not sure but I have heard the SW Virginia has had more rain than KY or TN. You may want to look to that area.

FishNHunt
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM
My dad and I saw a few giant yellow mayflys hatching off the other evening but it was right at dark and we didn't see any being taken. You can catch a few trout floating down from the power house when they generate. You can also catch BIG bows in the "breaks" up there when they feed on shad minnows. It's a very frustrating learning experience but once you get it down it is amazing at the size fish you will catch. However, I haven't caught but 1 from the "breaks" this year. They just don't seem to be coming up at the times I am there. They will feed all day long and I would guess they are feeding mid to late morning. I just am not going to fight that heat for them.Wear blue jeans and long sleeve shirts if you go, the deer flys are murder up there. Cheoah should be turning on anytime from what I was told earlier this year. I haven't been able to get back up there yet. Calderwood is slow from all reports I was given. Several friends went up three weeks in a row night fishing and then fished rapalas in the morning and they said they aren't going back this year. My dad and I are catching good fish up in this general area pretty regular but the area is small and it took some leg work to find them so you could understand if I keep it in my pocket.

JohnStarks
08-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm new. Same birthday as KyTroutman, but 20 years older. I'm even from Kentucky. Live there, too. Been fishing GSMNP since 1981, but not dedicatedly. I enjoy going through the motions more than anything. That and collecting fly rods (when you live where there ain't much good fishing, you buy gear - just ask Orvis or Marty Keane.) Came here for honeymoon in 1967, and keep thinking I'll retrieve my youth by returning. Wife likes to flyfish and owns as many rods as I do. We used to fish Cherokee a lot because we like to cast and wade, and there's not much casting in the Park; and not much fishing in Kentucky, at all. At least, not much wading. Has anyone been to Cherokee during all this drought? What about the 'Luftee and the Ravens Fork and other Permit Waters? We're coming to the Smokies for ten days beginning 9/16, and are desparate to fish in a reasoanable depth of water, even if it means going to Cherokee. KyTroutman, we live in Anchorage, where do you call home?