PDA

View Full Version : Got to check out the local emergency room...

mmorgan135
08-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Well after stocking up with some new poppers from LRO on Saturday, I couldnt wait for today to try a new fishery for some small mouth. I got on the road around 7:30 and by the time I got to the river it was nine something and I drove around awhile just looking for different points to access the river. I saw a few other guys spin fishing and noted their spots to try them out later that day. I found a likely set of shoals to wade with some deeper water tailing out to some large bluffs. I hooked into a few smaller fish and when I had a pretty decent fish on I had it about 10 or 15' out infront of me and the hook came free. Well the zonker sailed behind me and I was completely disgusted and began to roll the line infront of me and I did this as I turned to face back up the chanel. I'm guessing the current pulled the zonker and line farther behind me than I thought and as I felt the line coming up my shoulder I was smacked in the face by the lure. Well I thought that it hooked onto my hat but after a slight tug I realized that I was in a little bit of a predicament. I felt no pain just pressure and no blood. Well as you can imagine I started getting alittle nervous because I didnt know where the nearest emergency room was and didnt have anyone with my to drive. I nice man in the parking lot I was parked in pointed me in the right place, after a few wierd looks. Walked into the emergency room and I think everyone in that place asked what the heck was stuck in between my eyes. After a tetnus shot and some numbing medicine the doc pulled it back out of the same hole it went in. You wouldnt believe the amount of force he had to use to get it out. I sit here now and I'm so thankful that God was looking out for me and still have both eyes. I am extremely lucky. I was tellling my dad that 99% of the time I am always wearing my sunglasses even if its cloudy just for protection from any flying objects and the rain this morning kept me from wearing them, so I am one lucky guy. Anyway I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/9944/2938907160098335993S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2938907160098335993WzTFDq)

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/10986/2257746540098335993S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2257746540098335993wtcFsY)

doghaircaddis
08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Close call buddy! Glad to see you're ok. I saw a photo somewhere of an eyeball with a fly stuck in it. I think of that image quite often....especially windy days. A nice reminder here of the importance of sunglasses.

David Knapp
08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Yet another great reason for barbless hooks!!! Glad your ok...

Troutman
08-26-2007, 07:08 PM
A good reason to go barbless also. Matt, you are very lucky, glad your OK.

FishNHunt
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
My dad hooked me in the head once when I was a kid. He kept telling me "it's just in your hair son calm down". After a good while he got it out and when I reached back I got some blood. I was young but I knew hair didn't bleed. He got payed back thou when he hooked his thumb and had to go to Fontana Village to get it removed. Sure wish I could have been. Good thing it didn't get your eye that wouldn't have been good.

Gerry Romer
08-26-2007, 10:29 PM
OUCH!!

How was the fishing otherwise??

Gerry

You say you picked that up at LRO??

mmorgan135
08-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I was on my third fish when this whole thing started. I was planning on staying all day so I was hoping to catch quite a few. I saw some real pigs in there today but kinda spooky. I had picked up a ton of these copper zonkers a few months ago, but I picked up a bunch of those new poppers Saturday at LRO.

mmorgan135
08-26-2007, 11:03 PM
......and I think I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow and spend a few hours removing any barb on all the flies that I own. If I could only describe the sound of my skin tearing as he pulled the fly out....The funny thing is that I only got alittle upset when I felt alot of blood running down my face, and when I say alot I mean enough to make a white washcloth completely red.

LRO,
Do you think I could swap out a brand new barely worn Sage t-shirt that I bought on Saturday with a few blood stains. :) haha my copay was less than the cost of the t-shirt.

Gerry Romer
08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Glad to see your ordeal hasn't affected your sense of humor!!

Gerry

Paula Begley
08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh dear! Thank heaven it wasn't your eye!

Paula

ijsouth
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
OUCH! I can speak from experience on that - I had to have two sets of treble hooks cut out of me once; the crank bait I was fishing was hung in a stump a foot below the surface, and I made the stupid mistake of pulling straight back...I barely had time to turn, or it would have got me right in the chest. My dad forced the barbs through and cut them - I passed out twice.

ttas67
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
yeah, thank god that you're ok. that's a big reason I almost always wear sunglasses. I've had some clousers ping me in the back of the head before, but have been lucky not to get hooked by one.

Vern
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Set the hook one time on a texas rigged worm, it was a stick not a big large mouth. Worm weight came back and knocked the lens out of a cheap pair of sun glasses. I am allways afraid of large steams for that reason. chuck and duck.

fishlicker
08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Sir, I cannot tell you of the admiration I have for ANYONE that can not only take a picture of the thing for everyone to see, but can SMILE while having a fly stuck in his face....I am not kidding or trying to be funny....doode, you are one cool cat. Kudos to you for keeping a level head and having such a great attitude about it - and yeah, i'm glad too that it missed your eyes! If it's overcast, I sometimes forego the sunglasses for better vision on small streams when I know I shouldn't.....your bad luck reminds me that there's more to glasses than polarization!

btw - that fly kinda looks good on ya. :)

Jswitow
08-30-2007, 10:42 PM
That reminds me of the Scott Ad with the streamers stuck in the yellow hard hat. Glad to see you are alright.
Best,'
John