PDA

View Full Version : Clinch report

flydoc
08-26-2007, 05:36 PM
With the mountain streams low I introduced a friend to flyfishing on the Clinch today. No action on the usual small nymphs. Switched to a heavy booger on a sinking line and the action picked up. Beautiful day.

clinchguy
08-27-2007, 06:34 AM
ETSUskier and I went on Saturday and caught 3 (almost 4) on midges and 2 on a #16 Griffith's gnat.

CinciVol
08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Grinch and Cinch:

I met up with Bcunnin and his buddy Steven on Saturday and we tried out the Weir dam and then the jail. The weir was producing as well as normal, with everyone catching 8-inch or so fish and about 20-30 fisherpeople packed into 1/2 mile of water. Steven did catch his first trout on the fly, that was pretty cool. After the water came on, we headed down to the jail with high hopes (and a few regrettable guarantee's on my part) and we hit the water up by the island. Trout were rising steadily and it took us a little while to see that there was a hatch of small black caddis going on (pretty heavy actually). Well, to make a long story short, the trout were being pretty picky on us and we got baked and skunked. I talked to a fellow at "the other fly shop" (sorry LRO) and he says that Caddis is hard to match and the trout get pretty persnickety (my word) when its coming off so your better off heading home for a beer on those days. Unless someone here has a super-secret black caddis immitator, I tend to agree with him.

One highlight of saturday was the sight of one of my fellow fishermen convincing the other to let one of those lobster-size clinch crawdads attach to his hand "to see if it hurts". I'll let the readers of this esteemed message board decide what the answer to that question is. That was one (of the VERY few) times where I'm glad to have a few years under my belt, I remember the days of never letting a dare go unchallenged. However, it was great to witness and it was truly the highlight of the day. THanks bcunnin and Steven, I had a great time, we'll have to do it again some time.

Now after Saturday's mixed results on the river, I decided to take some drastic measures on Sunday when I had planned to take my father-in-law out on the Clinch, another relative newbie. Again, based on some advive from the guys at the Creel (eek, sorry again!), we threw his canoe on the truck and headed to the Peach Orchard access and paddled down to the shoals and man it was great. We had the entire run to ourselves for about 3 hours and the fish were very gullible to the usual suspects (midge nymphs). We had at least 20 hits and brought in about 6-8 including my new career best, a 16 inch bow that fought like a horse. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day canoe shopping!

bcunnin1
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Can you say you did not honestly think seeing him get pinched by the crawdad was not worth getting skunked. I am glad you all had a better day on Sunday, you know it occurs to me before you go off and buy a canoe that I might be able to rent them for free from UT. I should check into that. If you want to go again I enjoyed it and am usually trying to get up there at least once a weekend. Just email me if you want to go again. You still owe me fish from behind the church ( I am holding you to the guarantee)

kjctown
08-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Bcunnin1,

You can rent a caneo from UT for 15 per day or 25 for the weekend. Just go to the http://recsports.utk.edu/ for details.

bcunnin1
08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks, I appreciate that. What do you say Cinci?

ttas67
08-28-2007, 12:53 AM
cincivol and others- sorry I was not able to make it saturday. hit me up again, whenever, and I'll probably be able to go. I'm usually available most weekends. looks like you guys had a great time!

944s
08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I fished the Clinch on Sunday for 5 hours and have to say had the best day I have ever had on the river. Man was it crowded at around 10 but it quickly died down after 12N. I am normally a GSMNP citizen but the drought caused me to visit the clinch this year. I caught at least 8 all on midges dropped from a comparidun and had as many on the hook but they either spit it out or broke the line due to my inexperience with such large fish. I don't know how to upload the pictures but the evidence can be found here (http://web.mac.com/wiltonj/iWeb/Site/Fly%20Fishing.html).

I am new to the board but have been a loyal LRO customer since 2000. Glad to meet everyone!

clinchguy
08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
If you tie a #20 griffiths gnat but use double the herl and half the hackle (tie the hackle thicker toward the eye of the hook) it matches the black caddis close enough to fool some of them. Also, a # 18 black gnat is pretty close too. I will post some pictures as soon as i get time to tie some up.

appalachian angler
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
My best fly duing the small dark wing caddis hatch is a soft hackle with an olive body and a couple of wraps of starling hackle tyed on a sz 16 or 18 wet fly hook. Hugh Hartsell's "Starling and Herl" would most likely work in this instance as well. You can purchase them from Hugh at:
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/images/Wet%20Flies%20and%20Softhackles/Craig%20and%20Shawn.jpg
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/wet%20flies%20and%20soft%20hackles.htm

He has a whole host of other fantastic tailwater flies also.

LRO may have some of his patterns?

Definately try some small soft hackles fished on the swing to imitate those pesky little Caddis!

aa

Gerry Romer
08-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I fished the Clinch on Sunday for 5 hours and have to say had the best day I have ever had on the river. Man was it crowded at around 10 but it quickly died down after 12N. I am normally a GSMNP citizen but the drought caused me to visit the clinch this year. I caught at least 8 all on midges dropped from a comparidun and had as many on the hook but they either spit it out or broke the line due to my inexperience with such large fish. I don't know how to upload the pictures but the evidence can be found here (http://web.mac.com/wiltonj/iWeb/Site/Fly%20Fishing.html).

I am new to the board but have been a loyal LRO customer since 2000. Glad to meet everyone!

944s -- Welcome to the board! Some nice lookin' fish you got there. If you will take a look at the "Website and Message Board" forum here on this board, you'll see that Paula has attached a sticky there with complete instructions for posting pics on this board.

Gerry

CinciVol
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the advice on the little black caddis fellas. I think I'm going to hit the Clinch tomorrow (Sat) in the am. If anyone is heading out to the river let me know. If I'm solo, I might try Millers island, never fished that area before.

If you see a guy with an LRO hat on flailing away, by all means, say hey!

Dave

Flat Fly n
08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Back on home waters in the AM.. although not much of a cut off tomorrow.

I need to post about Idaho, too much fishing, and fires, but I am too busy trying to get my fly tying desk back in order.

Flat Fly'n

David Knapp
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I need to post about Idaho, too much fishing, and fires, but I am too busy trying to get my fly tying desk back in order.

Flat Fly'n

How about a few pictures at least...:cool: Can't wait for the report...

Flat Fly n
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Plat...
Can I borrow some of those big fish pictures from CO? I have some great pics of rivers, fires, etc, but this was NOT the big fish vacation. Silver Creek humbled this east TN flyfisher of 26 years. No real hatches to get the big buggers out of the weeds. The Big Wood was incredible! More on that.....

The Clinch however served up 16 fish to me above the weir this AM with the largest 16", then my buddy and I went to a private access between Peach and 61 Bridge. Good results with midge pupae, and then a few sulphurs of all things began to hatch...Some fish were taking emergers, either midge or mayfly.....who knows, but a #17 half and half CDC emerger landed 4 more fish before the upcoming generator ran us off. Largest again was 16".

Flat
Once I figure out how to download and get my pics to size, KB.. They all seem to be 2MB in size..anybody know how to do this??

David Knapp
09-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Its interesting that you had a good time on the Big Wood...I've been hearing a lot about it from many sources the last 2-3 months and all is very positive. I might have to check it out someday when I head that way again...

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics...if you want to send them to me I would be glad to resize them for you and send them back...

Otherwise, I use a free program called Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/#utm_source=en-us-more&utm_campaign=en-pic&utm_medium=et). If you download that program, it is very easy to resize. Picasa will automatically import all your pictures into the program and then you simply open the desired picture. Next, click on "File" and then "Export Picture To Folder". When you export a picture, it will give you the option to resize the photo...

Flat Fly n
09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Plat...
Thanks. I will get to work on this today... BTW Imagine the Little River with regulations and seemingly unlimited aquatic food sources......that was the Big Wood. Will send pics.

Flat